2000 Maxima ECM problem

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
ERUOTANEN
Car: 2000 maxima

My 2000 maxima (98,000 miles) has always run well for the 3 years that I have had it. Recently it simply would not restart periodically, and it got worse. When it ran, it ran fine. Took it to my mechanic who initially improperly diagnosed bad fuel pump before he realized the injectors were not recieving a signal from the ECM. Researched, and sent ECM to ECM Depot who diagnosed the unit as having something bad with the signals to the injectors. Great news! Diagnosis fit the symptoms so they rebuilt it for $395 with a lifetime guarantee. Problem is, when the rebuilt unit was reinstalled, the car still does not run. (bummer!) QUESTION FOR THE EXPERTS: Previously, I had to buy a new key and that required reprogramming all the keys at the same time, and the dealer did this for $50 or so. Do the keys now also have to be reprogrammed to this rebuilt ECM unit for the car to run?? Any other suggestions? My only alternatives are to 1) take it to the dealer (that sucks) 2) send the ECM back for warranty work and try it again 3) take a shot at reprogramming the keys (at the dealer?).
HELP NEEDED in North Carolina!! thanks Ed

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

The ECM rework probably wiped out the NATS ID. You have to bring your car (and keys)to dealership for re-programming.

ERUOTANEN

Loystock, Thanks for the input. At this point, you are the only one who thinks the key programming could be the problem. Do you know for sure that the ECM is the computer that handles the security portion of this? The "implication" I get from others is that it is not. Is there a separate unit other than the ECM for security in the 5th generation Maximas? Again, thanks for the reply, as we are checking with the dealer.

loystock

NATS ID are stored in the Ignition Switch (NATS transponder) and ECM. If there is a mismatch between the Key ID, Ignition Sensor and ECM, the car will not start.

OwnerCS

I'm somewhat facing the same situation on this 99 model that I just purchased with a bad ECM. From what I read about swapping an ECU, my options are:

1) Replace the bad 99 model with a good 99 model and pay a dealer to reprogram.

2) Replace bad 99 model ECM with a 96 or 97 model (plenty available for under $50), the TCM, and EGR. Basically swap out 99 control units for a pre-NATS unit.

OwnerCS

I'm somewhat facing the same situation on this 99 model that I just purchased with a bad ECM. From what I read about swapping an ECU, my options are:

1) Replace the bad 99 model with a good 99 model and pay a dealer to reprogram.

2) Replace bad 99 model ECM with a 96 or 97 model (plenty available for under $50), the TCM, and EGR. Basically swap out 99 control units for a pre-NATS unit.

ERUOTANEN

UPDATE: After I sent the ECM back to the ECM Depot for them to check it, they are treating it as an afterthought for "warranty" apparently because they already have my money. So as of today (7/8) they still have not re-checked my unit, my car is down now for the third week and remains on the shelf. Interim fix: I bought a 2000 Taurus station wagon for $2000 and, although I have not been a fan of Detroit cars, that thought process may be changing as this car runs great and gets 24mpg. Ed R.

loystock

I don't think that vendor can do anything about it once the ECM memory has been wiped out. Some companies selling ECM requires that you replace the IACV and Electronic Engine Mounts (if applicable) plus reprogramming at dealership in cars equipped with NATS.

ERUOTANEN

At least the vendor can verify that the unit is OK and that they did the work properly to start with. Then I can eliminate the ECM as the problem. The other folks that repair ECMs said that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor-$600 replacement) and the IACV must be replaced prior to reinstalling the repaired ECM. I am not buying that and I am going with the reprogramming of the keys and remotes as you suggested. I have instructions on how to do that and will try it myself. What have I got to lose? Worse case is I am having it towed to the dealership, which I would have to do anyway. Thanks for the input.

loystock

Replacement of the IACV and TPS are requirements for warranty coverage since a bad one can easily damage a new/refurbished ECU. It would be better to do a basic check of the TPS, IACV and if applicable, the electronic engine mount, before installing the ECU.

I don't think you can re-program the NATS key ID into the NATS transponder/IMMU (Immobilizer Unit) and ECM. That requires a Nissan Consult (expensive equipment). The key fob(s), yes, with the right procedure.

ERUOTANEN

Thanks-I have never heard of the "elecronic engine mount". Can you clarify? Also, ECM Depot did determine that my unit once again had a bad component which sends the signals to the injectors and a bad component that recieves the CAM sensor signal. These were the same problems they diagnosed when they first fixed it. When I asked ECM Depot about the IACV and TPS needing to be replaced or checked prior to re-installing, they were not aware of that. And they don't think key programming has anything to do with this. I now question thier credibility on these subjects. My fear now is that simply putting it back in and powering it up will give the same result and damage the unit once again. I will take your advice and tell my technician to try to check the TPS, the IACV, and the electronic engine mount before reinstalling the unit. So if you have more info on that electronic engine mount, it will be much appreciated. Not having a properly reprogrammed NATS key and fob cannot, I think, damage the ECM. It will simply not allow the car to start.

ERUOTANEN

OK this is getting expensively amusing (if that is possible). After recieveing the rebuilt ECM for the second time, mechanic cautiously went about trying it after checking with his Nissan buddies and it still would not run. I went to the shop with intentions to have it towed to the dealership, but becasue of tips I got from this website, I took my "old" key, one of the originals for the car, did the turn it to ON position, hold for 5 seconds, go back to OFF, and repeated this 3 times. Car started! And re-started several times. Took the newer key which had been left with the car, and using it disabled the car again. Realized that key was bad and was able to reset with the old key again. Problem all along was a bad NATS key? Most probably it was a big cause. Threw the bad key away, next day driving at 65 mpg in traffic with the old key, the engine suddenly stops but I was able to get off the road safely. Had it towed to NISSAN dealership this time, told them I thought it had a lot to do with NATS key programming. They analyzed and agreed and I have new keys newly programmed. However they also are replacing the crankshaft sensor which was error coding bad at both my private garage and now at the dealership so that is being replaced. Hopefully this will solve problems. Probably wasted $500 on rebuilding the ECM. Lesson learned-you were right about the NATS key issue, and if anyone ever has a similar problem, try all keys that you have and use the 3 ON for 5 second trick to reset any security system resets. Expensive lesson learned (I think)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”