2000 Infiniti I30 T "Buyers Guide"

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
yakuza13

Hi all. I'm looking at a 2000 Infiniti I30 T in my area and unfortunately do not know a lot about these cars other than they seem to be reliable and a good value for what you are getting. I was wondering if you folks can tell me more about them and what I need to look at when I check out the car later today. Here are some questions I have:

1) Fuel consumption?2) Does it require premium fuel? Can I get away with 87 octane?3) How reliable is it compared to a Lexus?4) What are the typical service issues the car is known for?5) How many miles is a well maintained engine and transmission good for before major service/rebuild?6) At 112k miles, what should I be looking closely at?

Anything more you would like to add which I may have missed, please feel free to do so.

Thank you all in advance.

MCovington
Car: 1995 Q45

I have a 01 I30 I bought about 6 months ago. It is getting 28 MPG HWY, 22 MPG town. These are reliable cars. Basicaly it is a Maxima with a different body style and a few more gadgets, like roll up back screen, auto headlights, leather seats. The I30T has positive traction in differential, 17" wheels, Zenon headlights. Some have ground effects and rear spoiler. Their was also a navigation option, but is is CD based. My o1 had the MAF go bad but that is all. Sometimes the coil packs on the cylinders go bad. It does reguire at least 89 Octain fuel. This motor has 227 HP and high compression ratio so 89 fuel is needed. The motor has a timing chain not belt so this will save you at least $300.00 over the Lexes when that is due to be replaced. Check the transmission fluid, smell it to see if is burnt. As far as longevity they should last over 200 K if taken care of. My 01 has 96K on it now and runs good. Had a 95Q 45 got rid of it due to gas prices. Alot depends on the service from prevoius owner. Any documentation with car?

yakuza13

Thank you! Anyone else have any input?

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

I've got a 2001 I30 that I've had for two years now. I have had two non-wear failures, both of which are common on this model: a bad MAF sensor and a failed power seat motor. Other than that I have had no issues. The car is quick, quiet. For fuel economy I see around 23-24 in mixed driving, around 20 in short trips around town, and around 30 in straight highway driving. It's a far more entertaining car to drive than a Lexus ES any day, and reliability is just as good and is possibly better given that the ES's 3.0 V6 has some serious sludge issues. As for what to check, I'd recommend taking the car to an Infiniti dealer and having them give it a once over.

BOBCAT
Car: 2000 Maxima, 94 SER

What is a roll up back screen? You got a projector and **** set up?

peedizzle

its a sun visor, u can roll it up and down with a switch from the front seat. my 00 i30t has 97000 miles on it... had a alternator problem, just replaced an axle. not too much money on em, but i hope i dont have any further problems. mechanic told me if i took care of it, the car lasts forever.

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

BOBCAT wrote:What is a roll up back screen? You got a projector and **** set up?
Power rear sunshade.

Jiggy686
Car: 2000 Infiniti i30 BLACK

I got a 2000 i30 with about 117k , my fuel economy sucks(15mpg NYC, 21-23mpg highway) cause my car is throwing a 1420 code which means the catalytic is no good, before the 1420 i was getting almost 20 in the city and just under 30 on the highway),

I only use premium 93octane and my i30 loves me 4 it, in terms of reliability i think the i30 is comparable to a Lexus even though I have problems with mine due to a car accident and negligence. Maintenance is very important with these cars. So far I have changed out 3 ignition coils , the MAF sensor, starter, alternator, a/c clutch , 2 cv axles and 2 calipers. Many of these repairs may have been necessary due to an accident i had around 98k where the front was damaged pretty bad.

So far the motor is running real strong and the tranny shifts perfectly 98% of the time. I recomend SYNTHETIC fluids cause they have made my car much smoother and are known to prolong life.

At 112k you should make sure the CV axles have not exploded and the rear calipers havent started to lock up . Also by then the MAF should have been replaced and the ignition coils too since both of these are very comon problems on the 2000. Also check the struts and exaust system.GOOD LUCK

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”