2000 GLE...Sluggish acceleration, etc

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
shizmac
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE

I've got a 2000 Maxima GLE that recently starting giving me problems. When I start the car in the mornings or when it has been sitting for a while, I have problems accelerating. I put the car in drive and hit the gas and it basically doesn't respond. The tachometer doesn't move. It's like no fuel is getting to the engine. I also am having a problem driving on the highway. I can be cruising down the road at a constant speed and then the car starts to decelerate and then accelerate...kinda choppy.

When I first hit the on-ramp in the mornings and jump on the gas, the tach will jump up, but I don't get any real response from the car. I have to take my foot off the gas pedal, let the car shift into a higher gear, then hit the gas again to really accelerate. It's like the car is having a hard time shifting.

Any ideas? I first thought I might have to replace the fuel filer or possibly the fuel pump, but with this problem on the highway, I'm wondering if I might have transmission problems. I haven't done anything yet, just been too busy to get to a mechanic. Thought I'd post and see if anyone has had similar trouble. Thanks.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Welcome to NICO.

Have you checked your transmission fluid level?

shizmac
Car: 2000 Nissan Maxima GLE

No. I have not checked it yet. It's raining here all night, so hopefully I can check it tomorrow.

I googled the problem and found some similar complaints on wiki answers. Seems like some people fixed the problem with a tune up (plugs, wires, coils) and others fixed it by replacing the MAF sensor. I'm at about 85k miles, so I could replace the plugs and see how that works, even though I think Nissan says the 200 is good for 100k.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

Plugs would certainly be the cheapest thing to replace, and it sure couldn't hurt. Be sure to use NGK platinum plugs. you can find them for a good price here http://www.sparkplugs.com. Give them a call and tell them you are a NICO member, occassionally they run offer discounts.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”