2000 G20, overheated, cracked radiator, wont start

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
stv
Car: 2000 Infiniti G20

Ok here's the deal, my wife was driving me to work, I had a job at a hotel up a steep mountain. The car overheated and when I realized it, it was too late the gauge was tacked out. She wasnt paying attention to it, nonetheless, not her fault. Here is what has happened since then, I let it cool down and drove it home that night, I did not add any coolant to it, it still showed some in the overfill resy. However it cut out on me going home and hasnt started since. I have read everything from spark plugs to head gasket to head. All I know right now is that there is a crack on the upper part of the radiator. eliminating things w/o just saying replace the engine or head, what are my options? Thanks for reading.

aceof07
Car: 91 240sx

does it turn over? if so does it sound different then before? if it sounds like its turning easier than before you have either blown the ringlands or melted the pistons like i did in my 1st ka. good luck, hope its nothing too bad.

stv

It turns but wont start, it seems like it's not getting fire. It's actually turning slower than normal in my opinion. The spark plugs dont appear to be burnt or anything. Here's my theory, since the radiator is cracked and there was no fluid flowing, would that have maybe seized up the waterpump or am I going in the wrong direction?

aceof07
Car: 91 240sx

if that were the case then the belts turning the waterpump would be chirping like crazy. what you can do though is a compression test. then post the numbers.

stv

thanks yeah I'll do that today and post the numbers. There isnt any churping noises however while the motor is turning trying to start there is a slight grinding sound, not like a loud sound or anything, its very faint and grinding may be the wrong word to describe it but I cant compare it to anything else. I'll post the comp numbers asap thanks

stv

Ok, I rented a compression tester from autozone, I am a retard and only got the number one cylinder tested b/c I tightened down the threads with a socket and cant get it back out now, all I need is a magnet but all of my tools are in my friends garage so I cant get it until tomorrow, however do the threads need to be tightened with a socket or can I just do it by the hose? If the reading was accurate it was 60 for cylinder number one, which I Know is awful. I'll get the rest of them tomorrow.

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

60 is horrific. Maybe a headgasket? Hopefully you didn't burn up the piston rings overheating like that, but unless it got hot enough to burn a bunch of oil, that's doubtful.

stv

I know... however my oil appears clean, not brown and murky. I am still confused though why it won't start. I've had a blown headgasket in my old eclipse and it ran just fine until I fixed it. Although it wasnt caused by overheating, so maybe the severity wasnt as much. Any way I can test the head while it's on the block?

stv

Ok, well it appears that it is a blown headgasket, which I am going to attempt to do myself. I found a kit on ebay for pretty cheap so I am thinking about getting it. While I have the head off, should I go ahead and remove the pistons and replace the rings? my compression is bad, which I guess could be because of the gasket but I would hate to do the gasket and then find out my rings are bad. My other question is, is there more than one kit/rings that I could get, I have done alot of work on mitsubishi motors and know that some parts are not interchangeable with the same car. Thanks

ABNRML4U
Car: NISSAN B-13

Just take your time Good luck I hope everything works out for you Peace Out

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”