1999 Q45t Starting Problem - Appreciate any help

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
sprtent
Car: 1999 Q45t

Appreciate everyone with any help. This is for a coworker's 1999 Q45t with 150k miles. Car does not start and at the moment does not give any codes. Car has start fine prior, then didn't start one day. Coworker brought the car to his friend repair shop for about 3 weeks. Shop couldn't fix, now my turn to see if I have any luck. Shop said there is 50 psi fuel pressure at the line coming up to the engine. Shop replaced 170014P200. MODULATOR-FUEL PUMP CONTROL. Car does start briefly for about a second when I give some starting fluid at the throttle body.

Fuel pump seems to work as I do hear it "whining" when starting. I did replaced the fuel pump regulator with a used one on Ebay. Fuel pump fuse (driver side kick panel) is good. Fuel pump relay (passenger side foot side panel, behind ECU, blue and cluster in 4) seem to be good too, as they click and I can feel them.

So it seems like the car is not getting fuel to start, I think fuel is somehow not getting from the line to the cylinders. If anyone can point me of what to look next, thanks. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

sprtent wrote:Appreciate everyone with any help. This is for a coworker's 1999 Q45t with 150k miles. Car does not start and at the moment does not give any codes. Car has start fine prior, then didn't start one day. Coworker brought the car to his friend repair shop for about 3 weeks. Shop couldn't fix, now my turn to see if I have any luck. Shop said there is 50 psi fuel pressure at the line coming up to the engine. Shop replaced 170014P200. MODULATOR-FUEL PUMP CONTROL. Car does start briefly for about a second when I give some starting fluid at the throttle body.

Fuel pump seems to work as I do hear it "whining" when starting. I did replaced the fuel pump regulator with a used one on Ebay. Fuel pump fuse (driver side kick panel) is good. Fuel pump relay (passenger side foot side panel, behind ECU, blue and cluster in 4) seem to be good too, as they click and I can feel them.

So it seems like the car is not getting fuel to start, I think fuel is somehow not getting from the line to the cylinders. If anyone can point me of what to look next, thanks. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Is the starter working? Can you hear the motor turning?

If not, it's your starter. I've replaced mine and it is not, not, not fun on this car.

If it is turning and not starting, I would investigate replacing the MAF. Very cheap for a chinese non-oem on eBay that will work as a diagnostic measure and work for some time. I put a cheap one in 20,000 miles ago after replacing my OEM with OEM which also failed, but was not new.

sprtent
Car: 1999 Q45t

Thanks, Jack.

I think the starter is working; that's why the car starts when I give it starting fluid.

If it's the MAF, won't there be a CEL code for that? But there are no codes, and that's the problem for me; no codes so I got no idea where or what to look next :(

Lokim
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 acquired 4/25/10 w/192K
Now at 222K and going strong!

Injector operation is controlled by the cam sensor. I'm thinking you may have a bad cam position sensor (CMP). Rent a noid light set from the parts store. Unplug one injector and plug the appropriate noid light into the harness. Have an assistant crank the engine and look at the noid light. If it flashes while cranking, the injectors are firing. If not, the injectors aren't opening. That usually indicates a bad cam position sensor or the CMP wiring is damaged.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

^Good advice.

I've personally had two q45 fgy33 MAF sensors fail, neither one gave a code. Both prevented the car from running.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”