1996 Nissan Maxima GLE, Stalling out

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
JCGirl
Car: 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE

My Maxima has approximatlyl 119600 miles on it. Work to date has been normal maintenance, O ring in 2000 (don't know the mileage). This year a new blower box with cage for AC.

I think the timing chain was replaced around 2000, but Nissan & Pep Boys are saying no.

My normal yearly maintenance includes draining and replacing all the fluids except the brakes. The plugs were changed out about 3 years ago and they are platinum. I normally drive less than 10,000 miles a year and 90% of it is highway driving at 55mph to 70mph. On the weekends it's driven approximately on 4 miles of extremely rough dirt roads.

I filled the car last Tuesday and was having sluggish acceleration going up hills and around curves. It's approximately 5 miles from the gas station to my house. Pulled in to the driveway which has a slight decline and the car stalled. Would start but would not run when I put in gear. Took the gas cap off thinking vapor lock. It started and made it to the garage, approximately 300 ft.

Wednesday the car started fine and didn't stall when put into gear.

Drove the car on Friday about 35 miles with inclines, some steep traveling at 60 miles per hour for about 25 miles, the rest was stop and go at 35 and the last 2 miles at 10mph. No problems.

Saturday I was trying to charge my cell phone and the car stalled at idle. It did run early for about 5 min when I had to go catch the dog.

Saturday afternoon, a friend of mine looked at it no stall at idle, in gear, ac on and ac off.

Sunday when trying to leave, it stalled at the sections of road I had to go 10mph or less and kept trying to stall unless I could gun the engine.

When I was on the section of hwy that I could go 70mph, I was stuck behind a vehicle that wasn't keeping a steady pace so the car was traveling at 55mph to 70mph. It acted like it was going to stall and I dropped it to 2nd gear.

The engine doesn't sound rough, air filter and oil filter are clean. Replaced the fuel filter last October.

The tachometer read at 2000 to 2500 rpms.

Thank you for any help. I'm having it towed to the local mechanic tomorrow unless you recommend I take it to a dealership.

MaryAnn

carmo
Car: 92 Accord, 90 Civic, 89 240sx

No check engine light? With the motor off and the key to the on position, thats bulb check. Make sure the light works (check engine). Maybe a code stored but the light didn't come on. Don't let anyone sell you a knock sensor for this particular problem. It sounds to me like an airflow meter. Nissan airflow meters are sensitive. Kind of like that guy in gym class that you weren't too sure about and he turned out to be gay and nobody was surprised. Yea, sensitive like that. Aftermarket air filters tend to cause problems. It's worth using Nissan air filters. But it could also be an idle air valve. Theres only a few things that could cause this problem. Sorry this is chopped up but I'm thinking as I type. If it was EGR it should be more consistent. And most of the EGR problems I've seen on that motor are lack of flow caused by blockages. Idle air valves usually code and I have seen those things take out ECMs or vise versa. You have to replace both at the same time. But when I've seen that, the car wouldn't idle down. I have actually seen a Throttle position sensor cause a car to stall out but it would just die out of no where with no warning. If it had bad injectors they would be bad all the time, not off and on. I gotta lean towards air flow meter. However, it's hard to diagnose a problem from a thousand miles away. Oh, and if you do go to a dealership make sure the tech. gets a copy of your first post here because that is very comprehensive and detailed and I wish more of our customers were like you.

MaximA32

Check the EGR valve and the EGR guide tube. Also, check the IAC/V. It's fairly easy to clean. The guide tube cannot be cleaned because the carbon just gets built up and hardens. The part isn't that expensive IIRC and it's pretty simple to install. Just need eyes in the tips of your fingers. Also, welcome to NICO. .

JCGirl

Thank you for responding to my problem. I apologize for not posting in the proper area.

I love the fact a service tech from Nissan actually responded, Carmo you rock!

Be warned, you guys are dealing with a daddy's girl. It's supposed to work, because I do normal maintenance.

MaxmA32, thank you for advice and the welcome. I unfortunately don't have a clue to what you were talking about, so it's going on a tow truck tomorrow. I'm thinking the local guy. My insurance will cover that tow and if he can't do it, then maybe the insurance will cover the next tow.

I have printed every thing out. Wish me luck.

Thank you,MaryAnn

carmo

Good luck and keep us posted.

pm_page6776
Car: 2009 A/C 2.5S

I agree with carmo. Very likely its going to be a mass airflow sensor. There is always an outside chance of being something else, but that is the most likely cause.

s13erm

I second the MAF problem. It could be as simple as having it replaced or even needing to reground it. either way keep us posted.

JCGirl

Update, the dealership said the knock sensor was coding. Pd $ 419 to pick up the car today. Drove great for all of 160 miles. Then I decided I would go to Home Depot, came off a hwy @65 mph. to amost a complete stop. Died! This time all the lights went on.

It started up right away, thank heavens. I made it home.

I've called the dealership, they will supposedly pay for the tow, 35+ miles one way.

Now, the dealership is going to deal with the personality I thought I left in Florida and Ohio.

I told them to check everything you'all said. But CRAP, I live in TX and women just get the whatever.

The new guy I talked to at the N dealership, said thank you, for telling me all the stuff.

So thanks guys; who knew my verbose would come in handy.

Today, it umphed changing gears until it warmed up. It feels like it skips trying to go up hills or accelerating. Only the 1st changing of gears, it's never done that before.

If anyone can tell me how to explain the above to a mechanic I would be extremely grateful.

My Dad has had to get his crank case positioning sensor replaced twice on his 2002 Caddy and my car had died just like his does. Starts up, put in gear dies, Starts up and goes down the road at low and high speeds and then dies. Neither one just flat out dies. Give them both time, they start right up and do business for a few days. Or in my instance today, about 150 miles.

MaryAnn

pm_page6776

Tell them just as you wrote it. hesitation on acceleration, harsh 1-2 shift, possibly skipping. If you take it to a Nissan dealer, ask to have a GT-R trained technician to work on your vehicle (if they have one.) The GT-R technicians have to be master certified and are most likely the best driveability techs in the shop. Have them check for abnormal airflow alpha readings. A high or low reading indicates a rich or lean running condition most commonly due to a bad MAF sensor.

carmo

Good call on the GT-R tech. And dammit! I knew that knock sensor was coding but it has absolutely nothing to do with your issue. Knock sensors don't turn check engine lights on, on Nissan vehicles, because they they don't cause major driveabilty issues. Is the Max an automatic or manual? If it's a manual, and it sputters and misses on the one-two shift, that could be secondary ignition breakdown. A high engine load sort of issue. something you don't really see at higher speeds because there's less load on the engine. BUT, you've had plugs replaced within the last three years...... And the prob. sound like plugs could not b the issue. Where the plugs OEM NGKs from the dealer? I gotta tell ya, I'm intreaged for sure. Spill the beans girlfriend! I gotta see this thing through! Unfortunately your not doing the work, so what we say are just ideas at your expense. You may try an engine decarb. We had some sentras back in the day that had real time failures, and the fix was a tune-up and a decarb. However, I don't feel very confident that that's problem.

JCGirl

The Max is a '96, GLE, automatic.

Today, it finally did something for Nissan service. I told them in the beginning to drive it to hell and back, since it's an intermittent issue. I also have the insurance to cover it.

Today they finally did. I have proper fuel pressure. My air flow meter sucks. Tax included +$800. I might get the car back by Wednesday afternoon.

I've almost spent all I can get for it blue book and a sucker at that!

Why are you the only guys that listen?

O, they did try to make me feel guilty. I made them tow it back to the dealership; after the $419 for the new knock sensor and it was driving like a champ. I'm supposed to be grateful, they told me my car honky dory and it wasn't. So I made them pay for the tow.

That's what they say at this dealership; it's driving like a champ!

MaryAnn

pm_page6776

Yeah, wish you had checked with us before replacing the knock sensor, carmo and I both would have advised against it. You should be able to get your car back tomorrow (it does not take long to replace the sensor.) At least your problem is fixed.

JCGirl

They decided it's the air flow sensor/filter.

Who's going to be with me, so I can give them crap!.

It's been up for anything,

JCGirl

I don't think my problem is fixed.

Right now I have a bad case of men suck! I want a guy to tell them what to do with them selves.

I told them to check every thing; you told me to tell them. I'm not trying to be snotty.

How do I tell them, so they listen? I told them every thing.......it rates right up here when something goes wrong in my house..

JCGirl

Guys, I'm just massively unhappy right now. Please don't it personally.

The twerps in TX keep telling me I must spend big money.

Exo

Hey JC Girl. I have the same issue and I fixed mine. Can you tell me if your key for you car is connect to other keys? Is the set of keys heavy? Most time it has to do with premature wear on what is called Ignition Relay Switch. Its located behind the Ignition key lock. This relay is what starts the car from the turning of the key. If you notice on the nissan key the hole is offset to one side, this causes an issue as the car bumps up and down it will damage the relay. You can test this out just by taking the key off the key chain and just using the key alone. If you dont stall anymore than you just need to replace the relay switch. That should only cost you Max $50 US dollars for the part. Its $60 in Canada.

Hope this helps you out.

Exo

carmo

Not at all! Tell em, your brother is a Nissan master tech. in VA. and can't make it out to help with the car. And he says to "piss of with the knock sensor, because that has absolutely no bearing on weather the car chug alugs or pings and sputters". That's why a knock sensor will never turn a check engine light on in a NISSAN vehicle. All it does is retard ignition timing for cheap, low octane gas so the engine doesn't predetonate. When they go bad (knock sensors) the control unit retards ignition timing automaticly, wheather you run high or low grade. So the issue has come down to an air flow meter? Those bastards knew that the knock sensor had d!ck all to do with the issue stated in your first post. Damn that! I'll give you my cell # to give to them! Ooo! Ask em if they checked "air fuel alpha" on the scan tool. It probably showed way lean (like 120 to 130) and ask for the Consult print out. Consult is the nissan specific scan tool. Good luck sister, keep us informed.

JCGirl

Carmo, I now have possession of my own Nissan.

They said they test drove it, I hope so, they used over a quarter of tank of gas. I haven't checked the mileage, but I guarantee they gunned it. Cool, hopefully they blew out the crap in my carb.

Supposedly, they have fixed it with the new airflow meter.

If they haven't I'm going to take you up on being my brother. I'm done being ripped off in TX.

You can reach me at [email protected]

Tomorrow we have to go to the property. I have to go water trees. I won't be back until maybe Sunday or Monday.

MaryAnn

PS, Thank you for all your help

carmo

The problem sounded like an airflow meter. Hopefully that is the final fix.

Old Timer
Car: 96 Nissan Maxima

I was having the same problem with my 96 maxima and I researched the net and replaced a couple sensors, knock, MAF, fuel filter, new plugs, and spent 3 days trouble shooting, no luck. I finally gave up and took the car to a mechanic and the diagnosis was a bad injector and coil pack. All the injectors were cleaned, one new injector, one new coil pack, and new gaskets to put everything back, total cost $868. The car runs better than ever though. I am not sure how one troubleshoots a bad injector but I sure would have saved a lot of dough if I knew before hand.

Druski90
Car: 97 Nissan maxima

Having the same problem on my 97 maxima. I replace iac valve and it ran great for about a month then the problem returned. It runs great at high speeds. However, at low speeds and idle it shakes bad and sometimes cuts off. Any suggestions?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”