1996 Maxima Right Rear Wheel sound

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
kalifah
Car: 1996 maxima

My right rear wheel is making a thumping type noise, not sure if it's the actual wheel or not. It seems to stop once I get up to spped but at stopping and starting the noise starts up. Tow bar broken? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Wheel bearing, shock absorber, really not sure. It's hard to diagnose a sound over the net.

Is it a continuous thump, until you get to speed?

getgopi1
Car: 1996 Nissan Maxima SE (5 speed manual)

Hello, I have the same issue on my 1996 Nissan Maxima SE. Once I get to highway speeds, I hear a thumping noise from the right rear wheel. The frequency of the thumping rises or lowers with vehicle speed. The noise will go away for a while and then come back. I have had both tie rods replaced over the years. I have also replaced the suspension in the front. I have replaced several exhaust system components under the vehicle several times (I live in the Northeast where salt corrosion happens every winter). Could this be a rear wheel bearing or suspension issue? Thanks!

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Before anything else, check the condition of your tires and make sure the lug nuts are tight (@ 80 ft-bs). If OK, problem could be with the wheel bearing or suspension. It may also be due to brake caliper or out of spec rotor. Jack up the affected wheel and then manually spin it. If you hear the noise, most likely defective bearing bu also check the brake assembly. BTW, an impending bearing failure may not may not show up during the 'spin test' (due to no load).

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Check the tires. My wife came to a quick stop one time and had a thump thump
when she drove it. We took the car to Sams Wholesale Club and it turned out she
had broken a belt inside the tire. On the car lift when you spun the tire slowly it
looked like it was out of round. We replaced the tire and the noise went away.
I predict the tire would show a bulge or blowout later (unsafe).

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”