1996 Maxima leaking anti-freeze from water pump?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
breaksr

I have a 1996 Maxima that is leaking anti-freeze off of the engine. The problem I am having is I can't tell where it is leaking from. I recently replaced the thermostat, thermostat housing, and the radiator since the radiator was leaking. I removed all the necessary hoses and radiator and flushed the system with my garden hose. I then replaced the radiator and thermostat with new parts including a new gasket for the thermostat housing. After filling the radiator up with anti-freeze and water I notice a small drip from the bottom of the engine. I thought at first it was the seal on the thermostat housing but after close examination it did not appear to be leaking from that location. It drips off the engine and A/C compressor mounting bracket but I am having a hard time following it back to the source. I am wondering if it could be leaking from the water pump (original water pump) but after reading the instructions on how to change that part (underneath the timing cover) I don't understand how it could be leaking fluid to the outside of the motor. I would think the fluid would stay inside the motor unless there were some sort of holes on the engine for the "weeping hole" on the pump.

Rob '96 Maxima 134K miles.

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

I think its the water pump. Ive never changed a Nissan pump, but the two other pumps Ive seen both had the weeping holes.

Bump!

breaksr

I've been searching the maixma.org sight and yes it does appear to be the water pump. It is a major PITA to replace it given it's location.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=308680

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”