1995 240sx EGR and canister soleniod: Locating and replacing

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Sil40_Mayhem
Car: 1995 240SX 5spd/1992 Integra LS

I have a bone-stock 1995 240SX. My ECM is throwing a code 105 for the emissions part listed in the subject of this thread. I've reset the CEL twice, and both times the error has returned quickly. Unfortunately, I'm subject to emissions where I live, so removing/bypassing the EGR system is not an option at this point. Also, I need to register my car, and that means... you guessed it, I gotta go through emissions (I'm on a temp registration now until I get her tested). I have looked in the KA forum, in 240 tech, Nissan Online Mechanic, 240SX/Silvia, and I searched (the results of which provided me with a picture that will come later in this post).

After many long, fruitless looks under the hood, staring at every pixel of the EGR components layout in the FSM (pixels because I have the PDF version), and even resorting to the good ol' Chilton's, I have turned up nothing on exactly where it is or how to get to it. According to the FSM, it is supposedly on the intake manifold. If it is, it's not on the top half that I can see. In this picture that I grabbed from a thread here, it appears to be on the back of the head (which would put it a few inches away from the firewall):

This motor is out of the vehicle from the looks of it.

I don't know which year KA24DE is pictured above, but the EGR system in the 95 seems to be similar to that of the 93-94 (which I also have the FSM for and compared to the 95).

I guess my actual question is, if that is where it's located, how do I access it (with the motor still in the vehicle)? What all will have to be removed? I have a few pics of my engine bay, so if any of you spot it somewhere else (or know about where it should be), you can point it out to me (edit the pic, whatever):

The engine from the front:

The EGR valve and EGRC-BPT:

The rear of the head, as seen from the driver's side:

According to the FSM, this is the sub-harness for the EGR solenoid:

Thanks in advance for the help. Honestly (and shamefully), I am not very mechanically inclined, but I'm not afraid to learn and get my hands dirty.
Modified by Sil40_Mayhem at 1:23 AM 1/11/2006

zer0c123
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Hatch

Image #3 pretty much shows you where the EGR and EGR-BPT is. Just look at the back of the head from the passengers side and you will see it. Search for "EGR" on this forum and you will see alot of people and myself have failed smog cause of it.

Sil40_Mayhem

Thanks for the reply. I have searched and seen where these things have given people the blues (which I'm experiencing now). I have looked from the passenger's side, but because of all the hoses, wires, and whatnot, I couldn't confirm a visual on the target (so to speak). What I'd like to know is how do I get back to where it is? Do I need to pull off the upper portion of the intake plenum? Should I disconnect all of the hoses/harnessess in that area?

EDIT: Mods, would one of you please update the thread title so that it reflects the year and model? Thanks.
Modified by Sil40_Mayhem at 11:03 AM 1/11/2006

Sil40_Mayhem

Anyone? Anyone?

Moto Man
Car: 93 240SX

In picture 1, there is a metal pipe at the bottom of the picture, going from left to right. That pipe carries the exhaust gasses from the exhaust header to the EGR valve. Have a look on your car and you should be able to locate the EGR valve.

As to removing it, I don't know.

Sil40_Mayhem

Thanks. This past weekend, I loosened the EGRC BPT and traced it to where the solenoid is that I've been looking for: apparently on a bracket underneath the #4 intake runner. From the looks of things, I would have to remove the upper portion of the intake plenum to get to it. I don't think I'm quite up to dismantling the whole of the intake side of my motor just yet. Looks like I'm stuck for now.

zer0c123
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX Hatch

You can probably get to it if you remove the EGR valve and the EGR tube. However I never had to deal with the solenoid so i'm not sure. Also the EGR valve and the tube is a PAIN to remove and reinstall.

Cygnus_X_1
Car: xxx

i just removed mine on my 93 (came in to try to find part # and pricing on it right now). it was located on the passenger side on the rear of the valve cover. trace your harness behind the VC and you should find one or two connectors. (on mine there was only one, the fsm shows erg solenoid and scv solenoid) the solenoid was connected by a 10mm nut underneath it. i removed the harness, unbolted the AC line and moved it out of the way, and went in w/ a small 10mm socket. my egr solenoid looked exactly like the one pictured in yoru post. now i am trying to find the part # so i can get another.

good luck!

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

the EGR is indeed a pita to do. Either the pipe will come free without too much drama or it'll take the strength of atlas and nearly a hernia to get off. I've experienced both.

The plug for the EGR has been posted numerous times, there should be an article about the EGR removal that has the part listed I believe at the bottom of the thread.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”