1994 Q45 Consult Port Location and KS question.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Hardwyre

I have tried to search and Google this, but I can not seem to come up with the answer.

I have a 1994 Q45. I am trying to locate the Consult port. Some posts have mentioned it being behind the fuse panel, but the only fuses I've found at in the engine bay. I've also looked behind the passenger kick panel and just found the ECU. I am truly at a loss for where this connector is located.

Also, on the knock sensor connector on the passenger side of the plenum, I ohm'd the connector on the bottom X's and one was 550k, the other was either shorted or open (it's been a couple weeks).

The pin on the bottom right was the 550k, and the bottom left had nothing. I've noticed the car tends to feel like it's driving through pillows, sort of like the timing is really retarded. Some times it just dances and glides. I wanted to find the consult port to see if I could watch the timing or KS activity while driving.

Should both pins marked X on the picture below be giving me 550k ohm? Are there two knock sensors on a 94 Q? All the injectors were between 10 and 13 ohms.

OwnerCS

The Consult port should be behind the door where the fuses are located in the passenger compartment. The door is to the lower left of the steering wheel post. You lift up and out from the hole to remove the panel door.

Hardwyre

OwnerCS wrote:The Consult port should be behind the door where the fuses are located in the passenger compartment. The door is to the lower left of the steering wheel post. You lift up and out from the hole to remove the panel door.
I'll look again. I found a carpeted panel that was bolted to the wall (like the ECU panel on the passenger side). Behind it was another ECU-like box. I'll get upside down and take a better look at things under the driver side.

Wait... is it up on the dash panel? I found this picture and I think I see what you mean by down and left of the post. I've been looking all over the foot space.

Hardwyre

Ahhh! There it is. Thank you folks. I am astounded that I missed it. I guess I was focusing too much on the footwell area.

As for the knock sensor only having a reading on one of the two X-marked pins on the picture a couple posts back, is that correct? I'm only getting 550k on the right pin, but not the left.

Are there one or two knock sensors in a Q?

Q45Owner
Car: Infiniti Q45

Hardwyre wrote:Ahhh! There it is. Thank you folks. I am astounded that I missed it. I guess I was focusing too much on the footwell area.

As for the knock sensor only having a reading on one of the two X-marked pins on the picture a couple posts back, is that correct? I'm only getting 550k on the right pin, but not the left.

There are (2) knock sensors. I'm in the same boat as you. One of them is reading 550 and the other is completely out of range. Get them both replaced at the same time.

Hardwyre

Q45Owner wrote:
Hardwyre wrote:Ahhh! There it is. Thank you folks. I am astounded that I missed it. I guess I was focusing too much on the footwell area.

There are (2) knock sensors. I'm in the same boat as you. One of them is reading 550 and the other is completely out of range. Get them both replaced at the same time.
I'm planning on it. I found a picture that showed them under the water cross over in the valley, and noticed there was two holes. So I grabbed two genuine sensors, as well as a pair of new harnesses.

I'm really curious if it will be the cause of my poor mileage (~12.5mi/gal - but my MAF was essentially shot as well; drives nice now) because it may be retarding the timing a bunch - or so I'm assuming.

If I could find some nice replacement struts or coil overs that didn't cost me a fortune, I'd also be set. I keep finding reference that 300ZX struts and/or coil overs can work, but all the references are old and most posts just peeter off without a final yay or nay.

OwnerCS

While I hadn't received any codes, I found the harness had been chewed up by some varmint years earlier. It must have been working by a single strand of wire that continued to make contact.

I double wrapped the new harness to provide some extra protection.

Hardwyre

OwnerCS wrote:While I hadn't received any codes, I found the harness had been chewed up by some varmint years earlier. It must have been working by a single strand of wire that continued to make contact.

I double wrapped the new harness to provide some extra protection.

Reminds me of running coax cable for satellite dishes. If we didn't put it in PVC conduit, gofers and rabbits would nibble up the rubber coating. Good idea, I will take means to protect the harnesses as well.

justjuiceit4
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SXs, (Coupe and Convertible) 1994 Infiniti Q45

How are those knock sensor wiring harnesses on ebay? Should one just get the OEM factory one?

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

well, it's just a harness right? no moving parts....
otoh, it's a hell of a lotta work to get in there and replace it.
How does one know that a cheap chinese ebay harness will not suffer from galvanic corrosion? or that the terminal crimps are quality controlled? or that the teflon jacket will remain ductile for the next 10 years and not disintegrate leaving exposed conductors?
please, please--use only 1st run genuine nissan boxed 30p00 ks. the piezo's that do not pass nissan qc, may end up as a "jecs" branded part in a non-nissan box (i've even seen them with 30p00 on the box to really make it look good....)

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”