1994 infiniti j30 transmission problems

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
desmobc
Car: motorcycles eatting and the gym

I just bought a 1994 J30 with 113,000 km on it a few days ago. I am having transmission problems. Is this common with this car ?? What it is doing is getting stuck in first gear some times.. and shifts late at other times. ie from start off it will shift at 3500 rpm under very light exceleration. That can't be normal ?? This morning I felt the transmission slip but noew seems ok.. Help !! checked fluid and looks like it has been over filled. I brought the car back to the dealer ship and they said that they will take care of me... should I get something in writting ???? Oh other then that the car is amazing !!!! can you get a better car for under $7500 USD ???? the body is MINT !!! is it normal for the door sills to wear very fast ??? where the driver and passenger put there elbows when window down ??? I know I have asked a few Questions and would love to hear from you ... Thanks from Canada ( Vancouver ) !! Go Canucks Go !!

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Transmission issues are a problem but usually not with only 113000 KM's and transmission problems seem to occur mostly to American J's especially from the south. Have you checked the tranny fluid, does it smell burnt? Not of a pinkish red color? The most common transmission related problem for J's up in Canada are the revolution sensors, the Canadian cold eventually kills them. It usually takes a few days for an Infiniti Dealers scan tool to trip and the cost for replacement is expensive. This usually happens at higher kilometers.

By any c hance would you have the service history of the vehicle? Transmission fluid should be changed at 90000 KM's.

Not to scare you, but are you sure the odometer is right? Seems low for a used car based on year and model.

driverdriver

BTW

Use the search function and do a search on J30 +transmission

Welcome to NICO

!!GO LEAFS GO!!

desmobc

I will have the odometer checked for signs tamper . Will also check with Air Care.. Trans has had service and fluid is pink clean and no burnt smell. ThanX for getting back to me...

driverdriver

Re reading your post, I suspect it is your revolution sensor, it usually starts off as an intermittent problem and gets worse. Have you ever pulled the car over, turned it off and restarted it and have had the problem disappear? If it does turn out to be your revolution sensor, I would advise you to get it changed ASAP because it will Kill your tranny. I would also recommend a transmission fluid change right after revolution sensor change to get rid of ahny damaged fluid. Don't have the dealer do it because you need a full vaccumm exchange (dealers only change part of the fluid in there). In Canada Mr. Lube does full vaccum exchanges for about a $100 (Canadian).

Go Leafs Go!!!

desmobc

ThanX for getting back to me again... I think you may be right.. Go Canucks go !!!

desmobc

Thanx for getting back to me again.. I think you may be right.. any idea of what it should cost for the rev sensor and labour time.

driverdriver

I believe mine was something like $800 (Canadian including taxes). The part is about $350 to $400 (Canadian dollars), the rest of it is labour, something they have to do to the ECU (J30 computer) and taxes. The part does take something like 5 or 6 hours to install, its in a difficult place that requires a lot of disassembly. The plus side is that the car shifts really smoothly and smartly. Its like having a new car again.

desmobc

Again thank you for taking the time to help me out !!! Go Canucks!!!!!

driverdriver

Glad to help a fello hoser!

Go Leafs Go!!

noetic1
Car: 1994 J30

Driver Driver,My wife's J30 has an intermitten trans problem where it is stuck on first gear (won't upshift) when she is in traffic. She is only applying light pressure on the gas pedal to move forward.

I've just picked up the car from Infiniti of Lisle and they told me that no trouble codes came up when their tech was able to replicate the stuck in first gear problem and that i need a new trans ($4560+tax)

I was reading through J30 trans problem posts and came across this post. Can you tell me where the following sensors are so that I can check them to see that the wiring is ok-1.) Rev sensor2.) Trans Solenoid3.) Throttle Position sensor4.) Crank Timing sensor

Thanks!

driverdriver

Rev sensor is on top of the transmission. By looking at it you can't tell if its good or bad. If its bad, it will throw a code, but you basically need to drive around with the scan tool attached. There are some on this forum who haven't waited for it to throw a code and replaced it. There transmissions have started shifting like new again. To access it, you need to drop the lower engine/susp cradle a bit. If your not equipped for this repair, get a Nissan/Inifiniti tech or a Nissan 300ZX specialty shop to do it.

Tranny solenoid failure is pretty uncommon unless you have a high mileage vehicle that's been abused or has been modified in some way.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”