1991 240sx: Stripped bleeder screw

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

Question: I rounded the edges of nut when using 10mm wrench. I did hit with hammer and use penetrating oil. Any ideas on how to get it off? The thread part should be ok because the other 3 were not seized.

Answer: Use vice grips. Very little brake fluid will come out when you remove. Specs: 33 mm long 3/8 head 10 mm thread. The head size doesnt matter but try to keep everything metric. Bleeder screw costs around 10 bucks. Canadian Tire sells them for $1.59 for some reason.

Question: I can never get all the air out of the system.(when using vacuum pump)

Answer: This may be because the threads on the bleeder screws let in air. the vacuum makes it much easier to let air in. might have to resort to another method to bleed brakes.All 4 of mine leaked through the threads even when tightly closed. I used some thread magic anti seize crayon crap to seal the threads. I also put copious amounts of grease around thread when bleeding to keep air out.

bleeder screw

Vacuum pump

Close bleeder screw and build up a vacuum again if you lose vacuum. Leave a little vacuum in the bottle at end so fluid in lines gets sucked into bottle. I was able to build up vacuum when screws were leaking so experiment with grease around thread area to see if that stops bubbles coming out in brake fluid.

Modified by vancouverbc at 10:56 PM 6/3/2007

Modified by vancouverbc at 6:52 AM 8/10/2008

Modified by vancouverbc at 6:53 AM 8/10/2008
Modified by vancouverbc at 3:19 PM 11/22/2008

AmoebAssassin
Car: 1991 Base fastback 5spd, black

Get a pair of vice-grips and wrench it off all the way.

To replace it, just screw a new bleeder in!

vancouverbc

Thanks. If anyone is interested these are the exact specs for bleeder screw:

http://www.napaonline.com/Mast...Valve

33 mm long 3/8 head 10 mm thread
Modified by vancouverbc at 1:37 PM 5/17/2007

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Had exact same problem and used a big wrench to get it out. It's not a bad idea to get Speed Bleeders if you need new ones.

vancouverbc

Bleeder screw was 1.59 at canadian tire. The new one leaks around the threads like the old one so I put some thread magic anti seize crayon crap on the thread which sealed it. They leak even with bleeder screw shut tight. (this is when using vacuum pump). If you can never get the air out the system, this is probably why. No fluid came out when I replaced the bleeder screw and the brakes did not need to be bled. (though you should)

My bleeder screw was so rusted that the small hole in end for bleeding was clogged so make sure you cap the bleeder screw.

tutorial

bleeder

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”