1991-1998 240sx: Exhaust Manifold Removal Tutorial

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

Index of all Tutorials

Removal

1. Soak the 8 manifold nuts, egr nut, and 3 muffler pipe to manifold nuts in wd40. hit with hammer to break rust bond. Same with the bolts attaching exhaust cover. apply steady force to loosen. These bolts break easily.2. I went to muffer shop and got 3 muffler nuts off. He could not get egr pipe off so I just cut it which was bad because it is quite hard to repair. unless you are good at high temp silver soldering.

3.Two of the muffler nuts can be reached from underneath with an extension. The other from the top or bottom.4. when reinstalling manifold, make sure studs are in muffler pipe before attaching manifold to the engine block.

Replace gaskets. Scrape old gasket off. I never replaced o ring gaskets as i could not get them off. they looked ok.

Torque spec

8 -14mm exhaust manifold nuts-27-35 lbs3- 14mm muffler nuts-33-40 lbsegr pipe- 29-36lbs ( egr nut is between 23 and 24 mm. not sure what size.I could not find imperial either that would fit.)heat shield- 12lbs

Tools:-anti seize compound for nuts/bolts.-WD40-something for egr pipe-open socket or pipe wrench-or cut-12mm and 10mm for exhaust heat shield-hammer-bolt extractor if you break bolt

Parts:-4 exhaust manifold gaskets(set of 4)-2 pipe to manifold o-ring gaskets

gaskets(Click on small pics to get bigger sizes)

tightening procedure

pipe to manifold

hose repair on egr. this wont work for more than a few months. you will have to slip a piece of copper tubing over this and high temperature solder it. not plumbing soldering.

Links

zerothread?id=90024

Note: o2 sensor is 7/8 inch wrench

Modified by vancouverbc at 2:31 PM 9/22/2009

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”