1991-1994 240sx: Help build tutorial on changing belts

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

Index of all Tutorials

Intro

loosen idler pulley, power steering pump and alternator as described below. Belts will slip over fan. i did it blade by blade and rotated fan.

Procedure

1. Loosen Power steering pump and push down on pump to loosen belt. Pushing the pump towards passenger side tightens belt. There is one 14 mm nut and one 14 mm bolt to loosen as seen in picture.

The following picture is for interest only. It shows the tensioning mechanismremoved from p/s pump. DO NOT REMOVE.

2. Loosen the Alternator:

(use 6 inch extention and can you do it without removing fan and shroud?

There is a 14mm bolt at bottom(alternator pivots on this bolt) and the two 14mm bolts associated with tensioner at top. The bottom bolt(pivot bolt) and the bolt that locks tensioner(tensioner bracket is part of engine) to alternator , face front of car. The bolt used to adjust tension is accessed from passenger side of car. The bottom bolt(pivot) and bolt that locks tensioner must be loosened. The long tensioner bolt will have to be backed off , too. You may still need a wooden pry bar or rubber mallet to move alternator towards driver side of car.(this loosens the belt). Make sure long adjusting bolt is backed off or you wont be able to move alt.

ALTERNATOR:-belt deflection with engine cold mm(inches).....max limit 11 (0.43) .....adjusting used belt 7-8 (0.28-0.31).....new belt 6-7 ( 0.24-0.28)

pivot bolt can be seen in this picture(obviously don't remove bolts)

top of alt3.idler pullye if you have air conditioning

Belt deflection specs:

7mm or .25 inch is pretty goodmore detail:zerothread?id=255910

Measuring deflection: push belt in with thumb. push in at center of belt. ie between the two pulleys. needs picture. I just used a toothpick with .25 inch marked off and held it vertically as i depressed belt. other wise use two rulers.

If you have HICAS

The following pic depicts a hicas pump which i have. if you have the regular pump it may only have two not 3 things to loosen.

Modified by vancouverbc at 10:54 PM 11/21/2008
Modified by vancouverbc at 12:25 AM 7/21/2009

Return to “240sx General Discussion”