1991-1993 240sx: Rear shock replacement tutorial

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
vancouverbc
Car: 1991 240sx

Index of all Tutorials

WARNING:These springs are dangerous. Know how to use your particular compressor.

Note: my car is Hicas so rear suspension is slightly different but shocks the same.

Introduction

Replacing shocks is pretty easy. With the rear I ended up having to drill off the locking nut as it turned with piston. You have to stand on the hub to get it low enough to fit new shock back on. Also, it is important to mark the relationship between the two 12 mm nut at the top and the main 17mm hole at the bottom as it can only fit on one way. Also, the main 17mm hole has a larger diameter on the side that faces towards outside of car.

Cost

- about $40 for each shock-about $12 for the dust covers to protect shocks

Torque

12 mm nuts 13 lbs14mm locking nut 15 lbs17mm bottom nut 75 lbs

Tools

-open end 12 mm and 14 mm wrench-sledge hammer and board-suitable spring compressor-17mm socket and ratchet-locking pliers-marker-torque wrench-maybe drill-correct socket to adjust spring compressor

Removal Procedure

1. Remove 17 mm nut at bottom.

2. Remove two 12 mm nuts at top. You will have to remove a fabric door to gain access. I used an open end wrench. socket did not fit. DANGER!DONT TOUCH THE CENTER 14mm NUT.

3.Remove the shock and spring assembly from vehicle.

4. Mark T on top of spring so you know which side is up. Mark top plate where it line up with the the bottom main hole when the hole is perpendicular with the wide diameter facing up. Also mark the top and bottom of springs at this point. My new shocks were different from old but the main thing is to mark the relationship between the top and the bottom main hole.

4. Use a suitable compression tool to compress the springs to relieve a bit of the pressure. Then remove the 14mm nut. I used locking pliers to grip end but ended up having to drill nut off.

5. Continue compression until top plate can rotate freely. Remove locking nut but be careful of remaining spring tension in springs that are not compressed.

Installation

1. Reasssemble all the old parts on the new shocks.

2.Tighten down the locking nut to about 15 lbs which is not that much.Make sure the bottom hole is facing the right way with respect to the top two 12mm nuts.

3.Remove spring compressor

4. Put the assembly back on the vehicle with the large diameter of bottom hole facing outside of car. Attach to two 12 mm nuts first. You can use board to hold up shocks while you do this. Step on the hub to lower suspension enough so you can fit bottom 17 mm stud in large hole in bottom of shock. I used sludge hammer and board to get this on all the way.

5. Only tighten the bottom 17mm nut hand tight or you will damage rubber bushing when the car is lowered. Bounce car to stabalize suspension. Then tighten 17mm nut to about 75 lbs when car is on ground.

misc pictures

Modified by vancouverbc at 10:00 PM 10/5/2008

Modified by vancouverbc at 3:31 PM 10/6/2008
Modified by vancouverbc at 2:59 PM 10/19/2008

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”