1990 sunroof issues.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Read up on the clutch adjustment and the stop adjustment so ill try that stuff in the AM. im tired.

Anyway, right now what im looking at is the sunroof was in the car, closed. It popped up just fine, no problems at all. closed it. then slid it all the way back. Then tried to close it again, now its coming up about an inch short from being closed. kinda odd. Im not too concerened cause ill get it sorted before I ever drive this car.

Also, what seems to be more concerning to me is the function of the switches. So there are two switches for the sunroof?? What mine is doing is I have to use one switch to slide it back 1/3 the way. Once it stops then I use the other switch to continue it on its journey. Same with closing it. If its fully open I hit one switch to close it part way, it stops on its own. then I use the other switch to continue it and it isnt closing all the way.

I bought this car years ago and ive just been wrenching on it slowly over time. Never once opened the sunroof until today in the garage while working on it. So I have no comparison to how it worked before or how its supposed to work.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

Weird operation for sure... the recessed switch closer to the rear of the car is for forward and reverse... the one closer to the mirror is just for tilting the sunroof up and down.

Heath

white90esex
Car: 90 240sx
90 Q45
12 Titan Pro4x
06 xB

Well thanks for that info, at least now I know what the switches should be doing.

Currently just used allen (#5) to close it. The motor is only held in by three screws and two of them are just spinning and not loosening. Im guessing there is some sort of nut up inside the sunroof thats just spinning so thats gonna be a b**** to try and figure out.

Was thinking if I get the sunroof closed up take the motor off, run it through the paces and get it back to "closed position" then screw it back into place that may help? idk we will see.

Anyone know if the piece of glass from a 96 sunroof will work with all the rails and such from the early years? Im assuming they probably do.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

As far as I know the sunroof design didn't change 90-96. Maybe the Moonroof came along in 1997? As they're totally different cars, I'd guess they're different - but I don't know of anyone actually trying it.

Heath

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”