1990 300ZX SLICKTOP - crash restoration. build thread

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
nefarious300zx
Car: 91 240sx, 90 300zx, 93 pathfinder.

Hey everyone I have been a member here for a little while and I love all the information on this forum. It really helped me along the way with my project!! I got a good deal on a 1990 z32 slicktop in black. it had front end damage from a collision (my neighbour). Anyways he didn't have the skills to fix it and was buying a house so I took the project on... It was a frontal collision so luckily the fenders and hood are mostly good (hood needs a slight adjustment still) the fenders are perfect. I picked the car up for 1200 canadian with stereo included. it has about 190k Kilometers (110k miles or around there). after cost of all the parts and supplies to fix the car to where it's at now it was an additional 800$ so in total i got my slicktop for 2 grand + and lots of work!!
oh and it came with about 6-7 grand in receipts from the same shop where it was serviced the last 10 years, so just about all the common things have been fixed. (i am the third owner)

anyways here's some pics of the process, and how it looks now. It's not 100% finished but its close. The weather is getting cold fast and I had to get moving on my pathfinder 4x4 vg33e 3.3 litre swap. :)

heres some pics of how it looked when i got it.

can see how the alignment is out of the lights and everything really. my neighbour had gone to the wrecker and bought a nose panel and bumper from another z32. they are fiberglass and I had to remove factory lights which i cannot do since it needs an inspection (out of province) so i'll need a new bumper/nose panel anyways.

the hood wont close the latch is way off and bent to a 45 degree angle

rear end came out unscathed :)

interior is nice and clean

the headlights are tilted in the wrong angles and pushed back.

can see the slash in the fan shroud since the rad support was pushed back, pushing the fan into the shroud.

heres the beginning of the damage... collision struts were pushed in and bent and crippled.

lights are way off and pushed back.

other side not quite as bad but still bad.

came close to the a/c condenser but not close enough, phew. a/c system is intact and works well.

can see how warped the rad support was. both sides were quite bad. totally needs replacing.
Last edited by nefarious300zx on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nefarious300zx

general mess.

this is after i removed the rad support (many many spot welds hahaha). sorry for the blurry pics my cellphone camera lense was scratched all to hell at the time.

can see where i seperated the layers of unibody and all the damn spot welds. there were lots and lots of those.

excuse the foot. haha

heres the new rad support after i seperated it from a junkyard front cut i got for 100 bucks.

same colour too, less work for me yay.

collecting the missing parts... bit of a puzzle as i had never seen what a z32 is supposed to look like without being smashed hahaha. my previous experience is with an S13 :P

after cleaning up all the areas and spraying on some weld-thru primer to protect inbetween the layers and the welds.

first test fit with the new rad support. this is when it actually got fun!! haha... most of the work before this was just tedious...

the fleet.

making sure everything is going to work before welding anything !! haha

test fitting with the fiberglass stuff.

the front end after welding back all the spot welds and painting.

almost a z32 again!!

things finally coming together.

after i sourced a oem bumper.

nefarious300zx

still missing some things.

still needs a bit of tweaking here and there at this point but coming together nicely.

filling in the gaps

air box was gone might as well upgrade :)

finally have almost everything..

once i got all the lights working.

first time washing my baby!! man that felt good hahaha.

hood still needs a bit of a tweak but oh well she is now parked until winter is over!!

well there is where i am up to now.. just thought i would share my experience on here and if anyone has any questions or needs helps doing the same lemme know. k enjoy the pics, i know there are lots! haha

nissanfreak12
Car: 92 300zx 2+2 TT

Very nice job!!! I did the same thing with my car, after it was done, only I knew what was done to it. Glad to see another Z back on the road.

droid017
Car: 96 slicktop TT swap

Wow she's beautiful. I have a slicktop sitting in my driveway right now that needs [quite] a bit of work. This is inspirational my friend! Great job!

nefarious300zx

thanks for the kind words guys. yeah i always wanted a 300zx and it was a slicktop and right next door so i figured i might as well give it a shot!! great practice doing all that sheet metal welding! i had never really done anythign like this before so it was a shot in the dark but patience paid off! wow you have a 96 slicktop with a tt swap?? thats really cool man, that must be a pretty rare slicktop.

and to nissanfreak: yeah man i my buddys came over and looked at it after words and were like "wheres the smashed one?" haha

any work is good work when it's keeping such a great car on the road!!!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”