1989 SKYLINE QUESTIONS

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Cbailey142

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1989 skyline which would be absolutely awesome.

I have the full specs of the car and want to know what you guys think

Also how much do you think the car would sell for?

Seems a pretty highly tuned and unusual car!

SPEC:
1989.9 HNR32 GTS-4

KMS:

TYRES:
F: OK
R: Good

SALES POINTS:
89 Skyline GTS 4
RB26 Engine
BCNR33 Engine, O/H Dandy Garage, BNR34 Crank Centre
N1 piston
N1 Oil pump
N1 water pump
HKS Metal head gasket
HKS Timing belt
HKS Intercooler piping kit
HKS GTSS Twins (Well this is what the sheet says but you can see HKS Stamped on the Intake Housing so id say there Bigger HKS 2530s!)
HKS Outlet
HKS Front pipe
HKS Fuel pump
Sard 660cc Inj
Sard Radiator
Sard Breath tank
Apex N1 Exhaust
Blitz aircleaner
Aftermarket catch can
Setrab Power Steer cooler
Dandy tune CPU
SSR GP-0 17” Wheels 9J + 37
BNR32 N1 Headlight
BNR32 Grille
Aftermarket rear spoiler
Top Secret Bonnet
Tower bar
KTS Front Upper arm
KTS Pilo Tension Rod
KTS Rear Member Rigid Spacer
HKS Kansai Body strengthening underside parts
Cusco rear Upper arm
Nismo rear bush
ARC Front Rear Pipe Stabi
GAB Sports damper
Wilwood Brake Bias
BNR32 Front brakes
BCNR33 Brembo rear brakes
OS Triple clutch
Nismo Big operating cylinder
BNR32 4.1 Final
BNR32 Front seats
Aftermarket steering wheel
HKS EVC Boost controller
Rear Fenders Flared
Sunroof
Decat Pipe
Aftermarket Sus (Non Coilover Type)
HPI Stainmesh Lines
Endless Master Cylinder Stopper

Observations
Very slight Head Noise, nothing to worry about, just a note, May even be the aftermarket Cams
See Pics for more info
Some Surface rust around rear window and trunk – see pics
One rust patch on sill at drivers side rear door, not too bad
Rear Spoiler End Plates in car
Paint Cracking on Roof
Wear on Drivers Seat
Some Small Oil Leaks on Underside
Bonnet striking something on RHS, maybe aircleaner, so not closing nicely
Handbrake Needs attention

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

To be honest, that seems to be a run of the mill GTS-4. No matter what has been done to it, it will be worth less than a GT-R. The prices on those are already falling in the US as grey market owners try to dump their cars for legal ones, and legal ones are coming in for fair prices now.

Pro tip, if it was imported illegally it is till illegal, even if the car can be imported now. The car had to be imported the proper way, with the proper paperwork, or it is still illegal. The 25 year clause is for modifications to conform, not for import law. So you are going about it the right way if you want to buy this car. If you do, find a registered importer, and work with them.

If you are trying to profit off of it, good luck. You can not import the car without a lot of work and / or the help of a registered importer. Unless you have a buyer already, I wouldn't buy it to sell it. And since you have no experience brokering cars, or you wouldn't be here asking, then you obviously lack the experience necessary to profit from the experience. Not trying to be insulting, I'm just being honest. If you want to pursue this as a career, that could be a possibility but I recommend reading up a LOT on importation law first. The NHTSA website is a good place to start.

Cbailey142

One plus is that the car is being imported by someone else, asking 9800 for it, I would like to get into this to make money, so even with the work done to it it is just a run of the mill skyline? Any comparison to the gtr?

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Before you go any further, you need to do some homework. Required reading for today is http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/the-fa ... tes-1.html AND http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/breaki ... wners.html THEN Our GTR portal: http://www.gtrclub.org/

It's a lot of work, a lot of headache, and there are some really smart people who have been in the business a long time and already have a foot hold. Good luck

Cbailey142

I understand importing takes time to understand the system, although this car will be arriving in September by a friend who I trust 100%

I just was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on the price tag of 9800 dollars for the 89 skyline listed above, or even what their value is in the United States.

I was thinking it could be an opportunity to make some money while enjoying a unique car

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

I've seen GT-Rs going for $10k. It will be hard to convince someone to buy a GTS-T for GT-R money. Granted, that is a lot of the right work done to the Skyline, but they all have work done to them if they are still around. If it doesn't someone is intentionally keeping it as a collector car and will know what it is worth that way. There is a lot to know about this scene and you're years behind. You have a LOT of research to do if you want to make money. Most of it can be done on this site.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Hey, long story short, you're probably not going to make any money on it at $9800. Time is money, and you'll have to invest more of both than it's worth to make what it sounds like you want. There are plenty of other imports you can get that are worth more for resale.

Cbailey142

So a gts4 with and rb26 isn't worth buying at 9800 with the intentions to flip? I've been told on other forums it could go as high as 17000

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

I'm going to link this to the Skyline Forum, just so you can get some more information from those that know more about them. I'm not saying that I don't think the car is worth $9800. It very well might be. However, I do think there will be a lot more holdouts for the GT-Rs though. Some of them are going for well over $30K. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide to do. :)

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Where are the pics?

It sounds like someone just tried to make a 4 door R32 GT-R.
Is this GT-R powered 4 a manual or automatic? Having an automatic with an RB26 is pretty boring. The RB26 is an awesome engine above 5.5k RPM and keeping it up there and in boost is essential if you're doing any type of spirited corning carving. If you're just looking to be different and/or drag racing, than an automatic will be fine, but don't be surprised of some mildly tuned STi's or EVO's show you up.

i didn't see anything about added pon-cams or aftermarket valves, which can really bring a 26 to life.

As for the bolt ons and work done, there's probably between $5-$10k of work (if it was done in Japan as prices there are friggan expensive) and the car it self is probably worth only $1-$2k. GTS-4s really aren't all that special, Yes, it does use the ATESSA system but they came stock with an RB20, which with the AWD system were underpeformers.

I'd say that car is only worth about $12K-$13k tops and that is if it's in pristine condition.

The guys to ask would either be Sean Morris or The Mad Scientist, as the latter is pretty much the go-to guy on anything R32 and non-GT-R.

VandrelSOUSA

The motor is swapped, it's not legal for import to the U.S. per the EPA requirements "original configuration".

There's another "importer" that shipped a R32 over with a motor swap and publicly stated they did. Only a matter of time until that bites them in the a**.

Save your money and purchase a car that you don't have to worry about being imported improperly and at risk for being seized because someone cut corners. Too many people out there who don't pay attention to the federal regulations and cause others to lose their cars or money as a result.

STeeL25T

FWIW, there is a guy on CraigsList two hours from me that is trying to sell a mostly stock "rare" GTS-T Type M that claims he's had an $18,000 dollar offer for it, and since it's still listed, I'm assuming he expects to get more for it. Always possible he's full of s*** on that offer.. But it's legal and already landed and in his possession. I'm thinking he is going to be able to find a fan boy to pay it.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

As far as I know, I'm not the authority on importing, having the engined swapped makes it ineligible. If you want an R, get an R. People around here are paying $10K+ for worn out rustbucket 89 R32s thinking they figured out a secret. Meanwhile I picked up a solid beast of a 94' for the same money. No Fast and Furious tax on 91 and up, yet.

If you want an R, get an R. If you want a T, get a T. Whatever you get it will be a risk and a lot of money so don't cut corners and don't settle for anything less than what you want.

Cbailey142

Purchasing. November gtr :)

Cbailey142

What does everyone think the united states skyline market will be like now that the 25 year rule is in effect?

im purchasing a white 1989 gtr coming in november i cant wait.

it will be for sale if anyone is interested!!!!!! i have all specs and photos

OwnerCS

Welcome to NICO.

I think it is difficult to gauge how popular a right hand drive car will be in a country of left hand drive cars. Though I've seen a few rural mail carriers driving right hand drive Subaru Outbacks. It makes accessing mail boxes through the right window easier.

I remember working for a used car dealer when I was in high-school that imported and sold a few older right hand drive Rolls Royce and Bentley cars that he must have bought for cheap. Once the novelty or "Roman Spa" promotional value wore off, then the owners usually couldn't wait to get rid of them..

Cbailey142

Very true, I'm hoping the skylines popularity will still hold over time. Most people I tell that I have a skyline for sale don't believe me! Where I'm from it is a highly sought after car, I've only seen one around so far

usafdarkhorse
Car: 1990 Honda NSX #382
1989 Nissan Skyline GT-R #2317
1972 Datsun 240Z

You should probably get the car first before posting it up as for sale.

You might be in over your head trying to fix the car before you can sell it.

Cbailey142

I'm too excited!!! I can't wait until November lol does anyone know where I can buy new seats???

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

Post some pics and info of this car if you will. Chassis number if you know it.

If you're excited about it, why get rid of it so soon?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Only seats you'll ever need

And you can choose your own colours if you're going with the Icon style.

Cbailey142

Awesome thank you!!

And to usadarkhorse, I'm trying to find a buyer and sell the car to move up to something better, trying to enjoy my favorite cars and make some money at the same time!! The car needs some minor maintenance so I may have it for a little while before I find a buyer

Cbailey142

And I would post some photos but I'm new to this forum can't seem to figure it out lol

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Hope you're better with cars than you are with computers (or NICO's search feature). Image

How to post pictures on NICO using PhotoBucket.

Cbailey142

Thank you sir

usafdarkhorse
1972 Datsun 240Z

Sweet. Where's the pics?

crainbow
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R

So say you purchase an GTR/GTS4 in the US, was brought in to US in unknown way, and it is now 25 years old, You guys are saying that is not legal? Can it be made legal?

Cbailey142

My gtr is being imported early October to arrive in November, I've been reading some cars have been held at customs for having swapped engines, luckily the one I'm getting SHOULD get through no problem as my connect has brought many skylines into the United States in the past from japan and south america

Cbailey142

Last edited by Cbailey142 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cbailey142

several photos

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”