1989 R32 GT-R October 2014 Importation to the USA

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
tyndago

Wildtraveler wrote:
r32d2 wrote:OR, you can buy one from Canada, like mine. I have a 1990 GT-R for sale. Built in December of 1989. You can import it if you enter VCP-17 under Vehicle Eligibility on form HS-7 Declaration for U.S. Customs, for Show and Display use for the rest of the year, if you drive it less than 2,500 miles. When it becomes 25 years old based on the Date of Manufacture, you can license it for the road, no hassles.
I had an auction listing on Ebay last weekend, but they removed it because I had a link to 30 Photo-bucket pics of the car.
I have it posted on Nico as well. Find it and call me.
If you import a car under the S and D you will have to export it then import it again in order to change your importation status on the car threw customs.
No.

Show or Display is a special exemption for NHTSA or FMVSS standards. When you import a car under show or display, you are restricted to 2500 miles a year, until the car is 25 years old. Once it turns 25 years old mileage is unlimited.

http://www.showordisplay.com/2012/12/19 ... -gt-r.html

Here is the Show or Display application - http://www.showordisplay.com/p/vehicle-application.html

Emissions is its own separate thing. Nothing to do with show or display. Over 21 years old, in original configuration is EPA exempt.

EPA 3520-1http://www.importavehicle.info/2011/01/ ... motor.html

tyndago

BH300zx wrote:A friend of mine wants to bring a r32 gtr over and was wondering if you being one to California does it have to meet the states motor vehicle standards?
Here is the typical problem. People do not understand the difference between importing, and registration.

They are not mutually exclusive.

Rather than typing everything again - read this. Includes California information. http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... -Rule.aspx

I can import cars over 25 years old into California. I can get a title, but getting registration for anything 1975 or newer requires FTP testing. On a good day that is $700 an hour, but you are more looking like $1500 an hour, plus parts. Nothing is impossible, just expensive and takes time.

http://www.importavehicle.info/2013/04/ ... newer.html

Brexfast

Add me to the list of people patiently awaiting my R32 from Jun at JSPtrading. Unfortunately mine doesn't turn 25 until December.

Wildtraveler
Car: 2012 mazdaspeed
1989 BNR32

We might be getting ours on the same shipment in October. How awesome is that. I do live in the tampa area. October is so far away.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Brexfast wrote:Add me to the list of people patiently awaiting my R32 from Jun at JSPtrading. Unfortunately mine doesn't turn 25 until December.
Congrats

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Here is all of the information you will need to import a motor vehicle from the originating source.
http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-e ... orting-car

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Guys, this information has been covered ad nauseum, dating all the way back to 2006 (and beyond).

Skyline Importation

I'll be glad to go in and clean up the discussion so that it's not so lengthy and cluttered, but this isn't Facebook - If you want to learn, then start reading.

Lots of educated people have provided you guys with a great resource here - for free... Do them the courtesy of reading it. :dblthumb:

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Yep read all 34 pages. It took a while. That is where I got all my information. Which expanded to finding more useful information on my own. It is a lot to sift through though.

ODS
Car: GTR

I scored a August GTR and a July Gts-t, The wait is killing me. I used GTR Garage and Kunio (the owner) is pretty knowledgeable.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Wildtraveler wrote:Yep read all 34 pages. It took a while. That is where I got all my information. Which expanded to finding more useful information on my own. It is a lot to sift through though.
You da man. :) :dblthumb:

papasmurf180

Hey guys what is the best way to contact JSP from here in the united states? Are there another any reputable companies to use that have good condition R32's to import?

AZhitman
Administrator

Hit up the guy in the first post on this page.

loopyR31
Car: 1988 R31

papasmurf180 wrote:Hey guys what is the best way to contact JSP from here in the united states? Are there another any reputable companies to use that have good condition R32's to import?
I didn't buy a R32 but I got a R31 from JSP. I like the car but they were not the easiest people to deal with. My experience was much like everyone warns again, they are an exporter and don't deal with importing so a lot was left up to me which I managed to get through but it wasn't a very positive experience in those regards.

Before I did my purchase I checked with a number of places. I took a chance with JSP hoping to get a better deal on the price which I did but I have a feeling that had I went with someone like Japan Partner and paid the extra money I would have had a slightly less painful experience.

I'm hoping to grab a R32 this year as well but this time I'll be contacting someone in the US to get one for me.

dc1984
Car: 93 240sx/98 180sx blacktop sr20det :RIP/ 93 jeep grand cherokee

ive read on GTR garage ( they claim to have retained a lawyer and have looked into all the the specifics to this as they will be doing it for customers) and they claim that the car has to have cleared customs after the 25 year mark. meaning if you have a car that becomes 25 years old in oct 2014, you have to wait until then to get it through customs. so if the car is already imported, you wont be able use this process to make it legal. so for people who have been able to import cars under other guidelines that have a milage limitation (i believe 2500 miles per year, like this car http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/1/5/US ... s-7717940/ ) you wont be able to change its legal status.

so for all those looking to import due to its historical clasification, take note not to actually import the car untill after it is 25 years old. unless you are confident that GTR garage is wrong.

could be wrong but its something to be cautious of.

tyndago

dc1984 wrote:ive read on GTR garage ( they claim to have retained a lawyer and have looked into all the the specifics to this as they will be doing it for customers) and they claim that the car has to have cleared customs after the 25 year mark. meaning if you have a car that becomes 25 years old in oct 2014, you have to wait until then to get it through customs. so if the car is already imported, you wont be able use this process to make it legal. so for people who have been able to import cars under other guidelines that have a milage limitation (i believe 2500 miles per year, like this car http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/1/5/US ... s-7717940/ ) you wont be able to change its legal status.

so for all those looking to import due to its historical clasification, take note not to actually import the car untill after it is 25 years old. unless you are confident that GTR garage is wrong.

could be wrong but its something to be cautious of.
Any early cars, like some that were very well known at the beginning of the year have taken some flack.

If you have a car that was illegally imported, aka someone brought it in as "parts" or some other way, didn't get a HS7, didn't get a 3520-1, didn't get a 7501, then those cars are still going to be illegal at 25 years. There is no current way to "fix" that.

However, my Show or Display cars, - http://www.showordisplay.com/2013/05/sh ... -cars.html

I was just asked for some clarification on this, and while thumbing though the CFR one day recently, I found the correct section. 49 CFR 591.6 (2)

(2) A declaration made pursuant to §591.5(j)(1)(iii) and (j)(2)(i) shall be accompanied by a letter from the Administrator authorizing importation pursuant to §591.5(j)(1)(iii) and (j)(2)(i). Any person seeking to import a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment pursuant to those sections shall submit, in advance of such importation, a written request to the Administrator containing a full and complete statement identifying the equipment item or the vehicle and its make, model, model year or date of manufacture, VIN, and mileage at the time the request is made. The importer's written request to the Administrator shall explain why the vehicle or equipment item is of historical or technological interest. The importer shall also provide a statement that, until the vehicle is not less than 25 years old, (s)he shall not sell, or transfer possession of, or title to, the vehicle, and shall not license it for use, or operate it on the public roads, except under such terms and conditions as the Administrator may authorize. If the importer wishes to operate the vehicle on the public roads, the request to the Administrator shall include a description of the purposes for which (s)he wishes to use it on the public roads, a copy of an insurance policy or a contract to acquire an insurance policy, which contains as a condition thereof that the vehicle will not accumulate mileage of more than 2,500 miles in any 12-month period and a statement that the importer shall maintain such policy in effect until the vehicle is not less than 25 years old, a statement that the importer will allow the Administrator to inspect the vehicle at any time after its importation to verify that the accumulated mileage of the vehicle is not more than 2,500 miles in any 12-month period, and a statement that the vehicle will not be used on the public roads unless it is in compliance with the regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency.
As you can see above, Show or Display is in effect until the vehicle is over 25 years old, then it is no longer held to the Show or Display requirements, it is held to the 25 Year Old Vehicle requirements. Which then mean the mileage is unlimited.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Ok so after it is 25 you have no mileage restriction but no where in there does it say you can legally title,license, or register it for normal road usage at that point. No matter what you do if you import under S&D you can't title it and you will never be able to sell it.

tyndago

Wildtraveler wrote:Ok so after it is 25 you have no mileage restriction but no where in there does it say you can legally title,license, or register it for normal road usage at that point. No matter what you do if you import under S&D you can't title it and you will never be able to sell it.
Says someone that has never done it, or the guy that has done it?

I have already imported, titled, and sold Show or Display cars, with permission from the NHTSA.

At 25 years old, they turn into normal cars, no longer held to Show or Display requirements. It is right on the actual application. Have a look at it. http://www.showordisplay.com/p/vehicle-application.html Call the NHTSA if you think I am wrong.

http://www.showordisplay.com/p/classsep ... -text.html
ON-ROAD USE

A vehicle eligible for Show or Display may receive NHTSA approval to be driven on the highway. The odometer must not register more than 2,500 miles in a 12-month period. NHTSA approval of limited on-road use is to allow the vehicle to be driven to and from nearby displays of similar automobiles. Another reason permission is granted is to maintain the vehicle’s engine, braking, lighting, and other dynamic systems in good working order. The vehicle is still required to meet EPA requirements. If the original engine in the vehicle will be replaced with a non-original engine to meet EPA requirements, it must be identified in your application since it may impact on the technological or historical significance of the vehicle.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Sir you are correct. I miss understood what I was reading. Though to me getting all of the information from a secondary site is questionable. That don't mean I am saying that site is not trustworthy, just that I feel information should be direct from the source if you are going to us it as a reference. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ ... isplay.pdf
here is the information in length from NHTSA.

AZhitman
Administrator

That "secondary site" is the authority on this topic, even more so than the NHTSA (since it's updated more often and more relevant to the questions most people have).

Between that site and this site, there's not a question left unanswered.

tyndago

Wildtraveler wrote:Sir you are correct. I miss understood what I was reading. Though to me getting all of the information from a secondary site is questionable. That don't mean I am saying that site is not trustworthy, just that I feel information should be direct from the source if you are going to us it as a reference. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/ ... isplay.pdf
here is the information in length from NHTSA.
I have been doing this since 1999, when Show or Display was enacted. I have been standing in the office (OVSC) in Washington, D.C. talking to the relevant people about these rules and regulations on multiple occasions.http://www.showordisplay.com/

There are many more things than just the NHTSA to satisfy when we are talking any kind of importation. If the person running the Show or Display application originally would have realized that, they would have/should have tried to bundle EPA exemption in with it. However, it was related to Bill Gates and his 959, and they were pre any OBD II requirements. Bill Gates car(1986 Porsche 959) came though the emissions testing lab that I have used to import cars, and get California certification on cars. I have done consulting work for that lab on multiple projects.

On a normal import you have to deal with US Customs/DHS. NHTSA, EPA, Shipping companies, and ports. If you think any of them work together, you are sorely mistaken. You just need to look at odd things like cars being NHTSA exempt at 25 years, and EPA exempt at 21 years to really wonder. Then on top of all the import items, you have local DMV's for title and registration.

When it comes to vehicle import, and particularly importing the Nissan Skyline, I am a subject matter expert. No one knows more about importation and Skyline legalization than me.

AZhitman
Administrator

Reminds me of when I went to get the title changed for my '67 Datsun Roadster. The title, which came from CA, lists the car as a 1961. Clearly, this was a clerical error by one of the geniuses at the CA DMV back in the day, but hey - mistakes happen, right?

So, after an hour or two of runaround at the AZ DMV, showing them that the VIN is correct and matching, and explaining to them that there was no such car in 1961, and that perhaps the '7' looked like a '1' to some disgruntled, clueless state employee, the supervisor tells me...

"We're going to need a letter from an expert on these cars."

I said, "You're looking at him."

She says, "No, I mean someone who knows the history of these cars, and can vouch for its actual year."

I said, "No, seriously, that's me."

She says, "Sir, anyone could say that."

I said, "Ok. If I bring you the owner of the largest Nissan / Datsun community on the web, a guy who's got 2,500 published articles on Datsuns and Nissans, a Datsun collector with 8 current collectible classic Datsuns, a guy whose cars have been featured in books and magazines, would that be sufficient? Will you take his expert assessment as gospel?"

She says, "Absolutely."

I show her my business card.

"Sir, that's nice, but anyone can have a business card printed up."

I got in my car and left. To date, I still own a 1961 Datsun SPL311 Roadster. :)

tyndago

AZhitman wrote:
I said, "Ok. If I bring you the owner of the largest Nissan / Datsun community on the web, a guy who's got 2,500 published articles on Datsuns and Nissans, a Datsun collector with 8 current collectible classic Datsuns, a guy whose cars have been featured in books and magazines, would that be sufficient? Will you take his expert assessment as gospel?"

I got in my car and left. To date, I still own a 1961 Datsun SPL311 Roadster. :)
DMV's are not that easy to deal with. Another step in this process of getting a car into the country.

A guy just emailed me about a car (1969 Lotus) that he was trying to register here in California. The people at the DMV, don't know their own laws. They are referencing the wrong Health and Safety Codes. I pointed out the correct Health and Safety Code for direct import vehicles - HSC - 44200

They told him HSC 43600, which is a general "we are going to make emissions standards". http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndx ... s43600.htm
43600. The state board shall adopt and implement emission standards for used motor vehicles for the control of emissions therefrom, which standards the state board has found to be necessary and technologically feasible to carry out the purposes of this division; however, the installation of certified devices on used motor vehicles shall not be mandated except by statute. Such standards may be applicable to motor vehicle engines, rather than to motor vehicles.
The correct section is HSC 44200. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appnd ... s44200.htm
44200. For purposes of this chapter, "used direct import vehicle" means any 1975 or later model-year direct import vehicle not required to be certified as a new direct import vehicle pursuant to this part.

For purposes of this section, the age of a motor vehicle shall be determined by the following, in descending order of preference:

(a) From the first calendar day of the model year as indicated in the vehicle identification number.

(b) From the last calendar day of the month the vehicle was delivered by the manufacturer as shown on the foreign title document.

(c) From January 1 of the same calendar year as the model year shown on the foreign title document.

(d) From the last calendar day of the month the foreign title document was issued.

(Amended Ch. 859, Stats. 1989. Effective January 1, 1990.)
So in this case if you LISTEN to the EXPERT at the counter, they will lead you wrong, and tell you that you CAN'T do something, that you can.

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Well I guess I picked the wrong person to disagree with lol. I have seen that paper in lots of places. I'm guessing you wrote it? Just so happens that I've probably used most if not all of your information to procure my own car. Welp I am humbly corrected and look forward to more great information from all of you knowledgeable and experienced people.

AZhitman
Administrator

Should've seen them when I rolled in with my RHD '63 Bluebird. :)

WT, we're glad to have you here - Now, for more important biz, have you started a thread with pics of that R32?

p.s. Wife drives a '13 MS3 - You have great taste in cars, dude!

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

AZhitman wrote:Should've seen them when I rolled in with my RHD '63 Bluebird. :)

WT, we're glad to have you here - Now, for more important biz, have you started a thread with pics of that R32?

p.s. Wife drives a '13 MS3 - You have great taste in cars, dude!
I have not started a tread yet. Kind of don't want to get to attached just incase the unthinkable happens! But this wait is killing me. I want to start fab on a FMIC and exhaust. Can't wait to share hopefully useful information as I gently caress the GTR.

Love the speed3. I have all of the easy bolt ons completed.

tyndago

Wildtraveler wrote: I have not started a tread yet. Kind of don't want to get to attached just incase the unthinkable happens! But this wait is killing me. I want to start fab on a FMIC and exhaust. Can't wait to share hopefully useful information as I gently caress the GTR.
The stock R32 GT-R intercooler is really good. We ran them on the race car until about 600 hp. Its big inlet, big outlet, cross flow. Out front, good flow though it. Weight is good, overall very solid.

Some more information about things to check.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2013/08/nissa ... guide.html

Some basics - http://www.gtrusablog.com/2010/05/real- ... 2-r33.html

More advanced notes - http://www.gtrusablog.com/2010/05/nissa ... notes.html

Wildtraveler
1989 BNR32

Great thanks. That saves some work, time, and money for other stuff.

kashun84
Car: 05 Impreza 2.5RS
13 Ninja 300

Hi all,

Just to introduce myself in short. I am just like most of you guys who want to import a GT-R all time and really excited about seeing those babies turning into 25 years old finally. I have one question prob. no one brought up before regarding to the OBDII. What if a person (me) want to import a 97 R33 in 2022? The car is 25 yr old for sure but it doesn't have the OBDII which I think is required for all cars after 1996. Does the EPA exemption exclude the OBDII as well? Again, glad I found this forum with a bunch of people who understand the value of getting a 25yrs old car from another side of the world.

Jason

tyndago

kashun84 wrote:Hi all,

Just to introduce myself in short. I am just like most of you guys who want to import a GT-R all time and really excited about seeing those babies turning into 25 years old finally. I have one question prob. no one brought up before regarding to the OBDII. What if a person (me) want to import a 97 R33 in 2022? The car is 25 yr old for sure but it doesn't have the OBDII which I think is required for all cars after 1996. Does the EPA exemption exclude the OBDII as well? Again, glad I found this forum with a bunch of people who understand the value of getting a 25yrs old car from another side of the world.

Jason
Over 21 years old, in original configuration a vehicle is legal for import as its EPA exempt.

http://www.importavehicle.info/2014/02/ ... -from.html

However import, title and registration are three different things. You can have a car imported correctly, but not able to get title or registration based on the state. This doesn't make the import illegal or the car illegal to own. You can have a car that has title and registration, but not imported correctly. This is illegal, and the car could be subject to seizure by the federal government.

Two examples

California - http://www.importavehicle.info/2013/04/ ... newer.html
Hawaii - http://www.importavehicle.info/2014/02/ ... years.html

kashun84
Car: 05 Impreza 2.5RS
13 Ninja 300

Thanks Tyndago,

As you have mentioned and from what i read on the importavehicle.info. The car has to be in "Original Configuration". It has to be 100% bone stock? How about Rims exhaust etc... What if the car has some mods on the engine? They have to return back to stock before exporting?

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”