1989 R32 GT-R October 2014 Importation to the USA

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

@porscheracing, do they already have a vehicle you are interested in or would they source one for you?

nijuT
Car: 2012 Volt

lasombra49 wrote:
If you're interested, I know of two other '89 R32 GT-Rs for sale in the UK. They're from a friend of mine that has been working on GT-Rs since 1992 and is the owner of one of the best shops for Skylines in the UK, so he knows a thing or two about them ;). He can also store the car for you and ship it when it becomes legal to import plus he will also be opening a shop in Florida next year.
I'd be interested in seeing more about this, I'm another US buyer trying to get one and store it before prices of 89/90 R32s go s*** next summer. My email is Tujin (at) live dot com

lasombra49

nijuT wrote:
lasombra49 wrote:
If you're interested, I know of two other '89 R32 GT-Rs for sale in the UK. They're from a friend of mine that has been working on GT-Rs since 1992 and is the owner of one of the best shops for Skylines in the UK, so he knows a thing or two about them ;). He can also store the car for you and ship it when it becomes legal to import plus he will also be opening a shop in Florida next year.
I'd be interested in seeing more about this, I'm another US buyer trying to get one and store it before prices of 89/90 R32s go s*** next summer. My email is Tujin (at) live dot com

Hello! email sent.

Tofubadguy
Car: 94' R32 GTR, Track Car
90' Silvia, w/ RB25, Track Car
90' 240 AWD LHD Coupe, RB26, in the works
99' 4x4 7.3 SuperDuty
04' 6.0L Excursion

nijuT wrote:
lasombra49 wrote:
Same here as well. I have a 94' GTR track car but have been saving and planning on making a move to get one for the street when something looked feasable. Your post has been a nice reminder to get back involved in looking around!

If you friend still has something available I'd love to know more info. Going to be contacting and looking into JSP soon as well. Thanks for any info you can send my way! PM me links or contact info.

Russell

lasombra49

Tofubadguy wrote:
Same here as well. I have a 94' GTR track car but have been saving and planning on making a move to get one for the street when something looked feasable. Your post has been a nice reminder to get back involved in looking around!

If you friend still has something available I'd love to know more info. Going to be contacting and looking into JSP soon as well. Thanks for any info you can send my way! PM me links or contact info.

Russell
Pm sent. Jun @ JSP has another R32GTR for 15k shipping included. He says it's a January 1989 model, but as most of us know R32 GT-Rs started production on August 1989, so it's probably a '90s model (I cross checked mine out and it is indeed an Oct '89 model).

Pictures

Here's what Jun wrote about it:

Here is 89 Jan GTR we gat
Red brown pear color (looks like a New car exterior)
R33 Turbo Big brembo calliper Adjustable spring +shocks 18inch Gravity wheels R34 muster brakes
very reliable great engine NISMO giages shows 75000km
10900 USD + 300USD per month until Dec 2013 (2100USD for strage fee)
shipping all service and ocean freight 2000USD
13000USD+2000USD Total 15000USD If you are intersted in the car we can reserve it
with 50% of total
we can send movies If you need
**89 GTR almost impossible to find it now especially this car no accident ....so consider and let us know ASAP
thank you
JSP

tyndago

If you have the chassis number, you can check it here - http://www.gtrusablog.com/2013/01/nissa ... dates.html

August 1989 BNR32-000054
September 1989 BNR32-001089
October 1989 BNR32-002089
November 1989 BNR32-003027
December 1989 BNR32-004027

January 1990 BNR32-005083
Nismo BNR32-100007
February 1990 BNR32-005554
Nismo BNR32-100536
March 1990 BNR32-006484

DJJammy

http://stock.jsptrading.com/gtr.html

Is this the car your buying? according to the site this vehicle is still for sale...?

lasombra49

DJJammy wrote:http://stock.jsptrading.com/gtr.html

Is this the car your buying? according to the site this vehicle is still for sale...?
Hello DJJammy. The reason they haven't updated it is cause the car hasn't been paid in full yet. Once final payment is made the status will change accordingly.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Eric,

Please check your e-mail and get back to me. Guy is selling a set of stock 32R wheels. 25,000 yen.

LONNIE-B
Car: 2003 Mercedes S600

The 89's are slowly increasing in price at Japanese dealer auctions. When I can get one with decent mileage and no accidents, it's always a good day. There is a growing buzz around the military crowd, can't seem to match supply with demand.

If you're going to get one of these cars, pay the extra money now and get something with low miles that hasn't been beat on. These cars can be money pits when guys get to rebuilding and restoring them...

nijuT
Car: 2012 Volt

Contract signed and deposit sent on my January/1990 GT-R. BNR32-005158. Flying up to Canada and driving it back in January of 2015. The seller spoke with SAAQ (the Quebec equivalent of the DMV) and they said to go there when the time comes and they can give me the paperwork and temp plates needed to bring the car back to the US (and of course collect their sales tax). That paperwork, the bill of sale, proof of manufacture date, and the customs forms is all I need to clear customs, and I'll be on a glorious road trip back home.

All stock except for a set of aftermarket intakes, HIDs, turbo timer, and exhaust. Already have an oem exhaust sourced, working on a stock air box so there are no issues at customs with the "original configuration" requirement of the EPA. I'll probably take out the turbo timer too, just to be 100% sure that I won't have any issues, but if people are importing modded 89s in 2014 with no issues, I won't be so worried about it.

LONNIE-B
Car: 2003 Mercedes S600

What have you guys heard about importing "modded" 89's? If that's a fact, then that opens up a world of possibilities. So far, I've been concentrating my efforts on cars near "bone stock" condition...

lasombra49

Gold Digger wrote:Eric,

Please check your e-mail and get back to me. Guy is selling a set of stock 32R wheels. 25,000 yen.
Hey Gold Digger!. I didnt get the email so please resend when possible. Hope all is well.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Just sent another e-mail, dude.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

Well i hope your car shows up in 1 piece,i paid around,19k in total to drop ship to my shop,but what i got was a 5x15 shiping crate full of musty,rusty,wet disasimbled r32,customs even cut random sized holes in random places.good luck man

NISMOWRLDPRTS
Car: NISSAN GT-R
NISSAN 370Z
NISSAN MAXIMA
NISSAN JUKE

hey guys so what im getting from this thread is that it is possible to import a r32 gtr skyline as long as the production date is =25years or older. with the motorex crash test when it first came out they let the r32 and r34 skylines with similiar systems pass. but since then the only ones allowed where the ones grand fathered in and all new ones cant be legalled passeduntil they meet all the standards.

my simple question is.. the nissan skyline r34 will only be legal to import once it meets the 25year old exemption? or is it not as simple as that. :confused:

tyndago

NISMOWRLDPRTS wrote:hey guys so what im getting from this thread is that it is possible to import a r32 gtr skyline as long as the production date is =25years or older. with the motorex crash test when it first came out they let the r32 and r34 skylines with similiar systems pass. but since then the only ones allowed where the ones grand fathered in and all new ones cant be legalled passeduntil they meet all the standards.

my simple question is.. the nissan skyline r34 will only be legal to import once it meets the 25year old exemption? or is it not as simple as that. :confused:
True. The R34 will not be eligible until its over 25 years old for NHTSA. Although there is one on Show or Display. Over 21 it is EPA exempt in its original configuration. http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2013/ ... issan.html

http://www.showordisplay.com/2013/08/ne ... d-not.html

If you want to petition the NHTSA, I could try and add it to VCP-32, but you would need to write me a large check to think about it.

DwillcauseUcant
Car: 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR-R32

Hey Guys,

I am stationed in Yokosuka, Japan and will be importing a GTR32 when i PCS. I have good connections in Tokyo and Nagoya if anybody needs some parts or a car.

I have already begun my process of exporting/importing and will be posting a thorough and easy to follow thread soon.

Glad to finally be a part of a club that takes there R's serious. I am underway right now, but i will post some pics of my car soon.

Cheers

i wanaskyline
Car: 99 and 00 Mustang both in the USA. Nissan R'nessa, and 2 R32 GTR's

DwillcauseUcant wrote:Hey Guys,

I am stationed in Yokosuka, Japan and will be importing a GTR32 when i PCS. I have good connections in Tokyo and Nagoya if anybody needs some parts or a car.

I have already begun my process of exporting/importing and will be posting a thorough and easy to follow thread soon.

Glad to finally be a part of a club that takes there R's serious. I am underway right now, but i will post some pics of my car soon.

Cheers

Really??? You are starting the process now...seems a little early for a 90'... :rotfl
If you take R's seriously then you won't say stupid stuff like this.

tyndago

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... -Rule.aspx
I get this question about once a week these days, “Are the Skylines really going to be legal when they are 25 years old?” It’s a loaded question. The answer is actually yes, and no, as it all depends where you live. In North America, Canada is an exception, but even in the United States the rules have some variance. Since I live in California, the answer is actually yes, but no. Yes, because the 1989 Nissan Skyline will be federally legal to import once it’s 25 years old in 2014, but no because vehicles 1975 or newer are subject to direct import laws in California. These direct import laws make it very expensive to bring a car into California compliance. However, for the purposes of this article, I won’t get too far into the downside of the upside of 25 year old vehicle import.

tyndago

Chrysler kid wrote:Speaking with my father about his old muscle cars the vehicle model year only needs to be 25 years old, it is not specific to the actual manufactured date as the dmv does not have time to acess those resourses (i guess this is where state and federal could get blurry again) Were the 1989 assembled vehicles released as 1990 models?

Any 1989 production vehicle would be considered 25 years old as of January 2014 correct?

Here in the us a camaro produced in the summer of 2009 would be released and titled as a 2010 camaro and only eligible in 2035 as a classic, however did Nissan release these as 1989 on the title?

I guess the only way to really know is to ask customs, or ship over a wrecked but running 1989 gts to see if they let you drive it off the dock in january
The US is not Japan, and Japan is not the US. Most countries go by manufacturer date, but in the US they go by model year.

US Customs 100% has the production dates of the Nissan Skyline GT-R's. I have talked to the local inspectors in Long Beach(when I imported my NISMO under Show or Display), and they will be watching this process like a hawk.

http://www.gtrusablog.com/2013/01/nissa ... dates.html

The R32 Nissan Skyline GT-R was first sold in August 1989. Trying to make a little bit of sense of the numbers. In 1989 there were 4555 R32 GT-R's produced. So the last car in 1989 should have been 004555. In the chart below it shows December as 004027, which might have been the first chassis number for the month, but then January 1990 starts/ends with 005083. Here are the dates of production for the 1989, and start of 1990 Nissan Skyline GT-R.

August 1989 BNR32-000054
September 1989 BNR32-001089
October 1989 BNR32-002089
November 1989 BNR32-003027
December 1989 BNR32-004027
January 1990 BNR32-005083
Nismo BNR32-100007
February 1990 BNR32-005554
Nismo BNR32-100536
March 1990 BNR32-006484

When you try to play with customs, they do this to your car...

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2013/ ... ender.html

Chrysler kid
Car: Camaro

Sorry I deleted that post right after I made it. The info was in the thread below this one. Dis regard my fanboy status thanks

Bigalow311
Car: Nissan 350z

Good info here. I'll be importing my 89 into the states next year as well.

Sean, do we have to register the vehicle in the same state where its dropped off at? For example, delivery at the Port of Los Angeles but transporting/registering in New York.

wayne984
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35
rebadged to the nissan skyline 350gt

Looks like you got lucky!! I wish I could get me one set aside.. Gotta finish college though.

JSP Trading Inc
Car: 89 GTR R32

Posts removed due to violation of commercial posting rules.

nismo1118
Car: Jetta GLI
Ducati Monster S2R1000

@lasombra49, could you email me if you get a chance I have a couple question for you and I guess I can't PM yet. [email protected]

ksboi

Great information! I plan on doing this after my deployment. Found a few places in Canada that have some 89 Skylines. Just need to verify date before I take that trip up.

Deavastation
Car: 1991 Audi 200 20V Turbo
1984 BMW 533i

WANT: Nissan Skyline GTR R32

Hey OP, I am very interested in getting started on a purchase and import process of an R32 into the states. Been a dream car of mine for a long time! Could you shoot me an email of the two skyline GTRs that are you know are listed for sale in the UK? Would greatly appreciate it! :)

[email protected]

VandrelSOUSA

Bigalow311 wrote:Good info here. I'll be importing my 89 into the states next year as well.

Sean, do we have to register the vehicle in the same state where its dropped off at? For example, delivery at the Port of Los Angeles but transporting/registering in New York.
You can register the vehicle in whatever state you want granted that you meet the requirements to register in that state. Also, If you are looking at transporting a car from LA to New York you might want to rethink your port of entry. It's far cheaper to RORO to another port on the other side of then country then try to run everything through CA ports and then use inland freight carrier shipping.

To give you an idea, I imported a R30 not long ago and later sold it to a guy in WA state. Freight cost to send it on a truck 3,000 miles away was $1,100 where as the cost of the boat ride over to the east coast was a much less then that.

TeamMTechnix

lasombra49 wrote:Great info and advice Sean. Thanks for taking the time to write it all. As you said, I'm completely responsible for what happens with my shipment, and that's why I wanted to ask someone that actually went through the experience of getting these cars over here instead of relying on every little thing I see on the internet. Thing is, once the car reaches the US, it's final destination will be Puerto Rico (I can't ship the car directly, so it needs to go through a US port first). Being that Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States, the same laws apply regarding 25 year rule and the like. And I completely agree, most of the shipping charges don't make much sense when you think about it, but in the end, you really can't argue, cause otherwise you ain't getting s#$% :P
Lasombra49 do you know if the the R32 engine have to be stock to be imported? I live in Japan and was looking to have my engine mod but afraid it will not pass EPA.. I was reading that regardless if it's 25 yrs, at port of entry US Customs may look into it...

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”