1984 Nissan Granville Motorhome

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
ravenranger
Car: 1984 Nissan Granville Motorhome

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself.
I'm curious as to how many other little Nissan motorhomes there are floating around. The Toyota Dolphins have a huge following and many dedicated forums but I've not found anything on the little Nissan motorhomes. I must say, having both a Toyota and Nissan that the Nissan motor kick's T's butt!
:chuckle:

ravenranger

As a follow-up, I've been experiencing overheating issues now that the rig is spending it's first summer in Arizona. Tried a fluid flush, new thermo and rad cap but still having problems, especially under load with AC on in city traffic.

The local mechanic says it probably needs a new radiator (given the age - 30 years but it only has 54k miles on it) and fan clutch. Big question is, does it use the same radiator and fan clutch as a regular 720 or is there a heavy duty version for the dually? More importantly, where would one find such?

Thanks in advance!

foxfan1992
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun 720 King Cab

While my truck is situated much further north than yours is, I too was suffering overheating issues and a leaking radiator. As I left it and put it off further and further my truck overheated time and time again until I did get the radiator replaced, and then it still overheated once again after the radiator was replaced, which blew the headgasket. Fortunately the blown headgasket was resealed once the pressure built up and so it didn't affect the engine's running, and in the fall the truck spent two months in the garage having a new headgasket and cylinder head fitted. My old cylinder head had warped beyond repair, but the engine was burning oil as the cylinder head was leaking.
After replacing the cylinder head and fitted a new headgasket, the truck hasn't overheated since.

All in all, what I suggest is checking the radiator for leaks when the engine overheats, and if it isn't the radiator it could be your water pump, or maybe there's something else wrong with your cylinder head or a headgasket failure.

I can't help you with the info about what may be different, as my 720 is a regular king cab model. It has a Nissan Z24 engine and mechanical water pump that the fan is attached to on the outside, so as the water pump rotates so does the fan. My truck also lacks air conditioning.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hey, RR - What part of AZ are you in?

ravenranger

Tucson

Return to “Datsun 720”