18 years and 280,000 miles later: I'm going to miss my Max.

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yep. Sadly, the time has come to put my old third gen down. The car has treated my family well. My dad bought it new in 1993. A decade later I bought it from him, then a few years later I sold it back to him for my sister. I never stopped thinking about the car as mine, though. I was still the one who took care of it.

Now, though, the car doesn't pass emissions, thanks in large part to the exhaust manifold stud problem. The studs have been broken for years, but never impaired emissions tests until this year.

I've put more effort, time, care, and money into that car than just about anything (and even anyone) in the world. The only things I didn't do myself were a transmission rebuild, a power steering rebuild and the periodic timing belt/water pump.

Looking back at the car, it's been so easy and cheap to own it's astounding. I don't think any of us will ever own another car that's anywhere near as reliable, or easy to work on, or cheap to fix. The car's only real flaw was its charging system, which consumed alternators like candy (I think I put 7 total replacements in the car over the years, all of them since 2001).

After 18 years and 280,000 miles, including years of running on ethanol mixed gas, I've only ever replaced ONE SINGLE fuel injector. ONE. And that was just this last November.
The car never burned oil, ever. You could drain the old, fill the new, and not give a second thought to the oil level until the next oilchange.

And that car was always fun to drive. A few months ago, after replacing the driver side control arm, I took it for a test drive to ensure everything was buttoned down. It was the first time I'd driven the car in probably a year. It still put a smile on my face. Even after the 350 ft-lb tire-eating Q45 and the superbly-balanced and agile LS8, it still stands on its own merits as a genuinely FUN car. It's utterly gutless, but never feels it. Torque is always there. And it's so well balanced for a FWD chassis. Very neutral, very "centered," with a more obedient rear-end than I've found on many rear-drive cars. The right tires on a third-gen Maxima, even with stock GXE suspension, make it a damn fun little beast. Even with terrible cheap all-seasons, as are on it now, it's still a playful car.

And it sounds good, too. A few years ago I had a magnaflow catback setup put on the car. It sounds better than just about any other V6 I can think of. Smooth, deep, and clear. No rasping, no farting, no buzzing.

I still consider the third-gen max to be one of the best looking sedans ever built. Subtly aggressive is how I've always described it. So simple, but with the little details worked so that it never looks bland, never looks boring. Next to Camrys and Accords ten years newer it still stands out as the more modern design. It aged well because it's timeless. The proportions are nearly perfect.

I'm headed over to swap the stock stereo back into it before we decide what to do with it. We have friends in areas with no emissions testing who want it for their kids, or we may just give it back to the junkyard that provided so many of the parts it now wears. Neither end pleases me much, because I won't get to work on it or drive it anymore.
The Max was always FUN to wrench on. My Q45 was fun, but so needy that working on it became more of a chore than a hobby. And the LS8 is too modern and high-tech for me to do much at all without needing expensive tools.
Those things, and I know whoever ends up with it, on the road or off, won't take care of it, because it's "only" a 20-year-old family sedan.

Anyway, this wouldn't be complete without pics. So pics away:

Goodbye, Maxima. :sad:

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

:sad:
Job well done Maxima. Enjoy your retirement.

maxhopper
Car: 02 Maxima SE 6spd

It's a sad day indeed. :crybaby

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Put that baby to bed right- enter it in the next demolition derby. Live together, die together. You and that Max will be bad boys for life.

maximapwnage
Car: Nissan Maxima Completely stock

that means its time to goooo alll ouuuttttt get ur self a rb26dett make it a beast of another breed i hate to see maxima's die...

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Man...I'd love to cram a VH45 into it and scare the pants of Corvette owners everywhere. Just imagine 350+ ft-lb in a 2900lb car.

maximapwnage
Car: Nissan Maxima Completely stock

INNNNNDEEEEEED

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”