18" Titan Wheels on stock Hardbody

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
NissanHunter
Car: 97 Hardbody

I have a 97 Hardbody 2wd and got a nice set of 18" Titan alloys off Craigslist for $175. I know I will have to have the hubs bored to 4". Does anyone know how deep they will need to be bored? Anybody have pics of a stock hardbody with the 18" Titan alloys? Thinking about a 235-50-18 tire. Don't want it to look too "carish". Any thoughts?

hessianben

you have to bore (using a 1/2" rabbet bit and a router) the diameter 1" larger (1/2" pass all the way around) and 1/2" deep. If the truck is stock you'll probably want to run 40-50 series tires - if you go any taller, you'll have a "donk" on your hands. Also keep in mind, that the taller the tires you run, the longer it takes to get that tire turning... when I run my 15's with 235/50/15's- it feels like a sporty little vehicle... but when I'm running the 18's with 235/45/18's, it feels sluggish on acceleration.

I know it's not my hardbody, but you get the idea...

NissanHunter

Thanks for the good info. I found a machine shop that will bore all four wheels for $75. I would feel a little better if he did it but that's me. I'm just a little hesitant about doing it with a router.

I was concerned with how the 45 series tire would look on the truck. After seing yours my worries are gone. That looks sweet!

My other option for my hardbody is to go with a set of 17" Frontier SC wheels that I also picked up on Craigslist for $125. I think the Titan wheels look much better myself and I also like the look of 18's on it.

Good point on the taller tires taking more to get them wound up. It's an automatic and runs like a turd compared to all the other Hardbody's that I've had with 5 speeds. I have gotten spoiled on the automatic though.
Modified by NissanHunter at 3:45 PM 12/6/2008

hessianben

yeah, the auto 4cyl motors are pretty gutless...One option would be to try the 17's with lo-pro tires and see if the smaller tire diameter helped off-the-line- response....Just a thought.Post some pics!The SC wheels look sick too on a street truck!

NissanHunter

I'm gonna go with the Titan rims. I've been trying to find info on if the Titan rims with 235/45/18 would work without any problems since my Hardbody is stock. I hate to spend all that $ and then have problems. May go with a 225/45/18 to be safe.

What brand of tire did you go with? I want to find a decent tire and not spend a fortune. I can get Kuhmo Ecsta's to my door for $414. Reviews are so-so. I've heard great things about the Cooper CS4 but don't think it comes in a 45.

hessianben

Oh, one other thing that I had to deal with:the higher offset, and wider wheels of the Titan rubbed on the steering linkage at full lock. The two options to fix this are: 1. turn out the steering stops until you don't rub anymore, but sacrifice some steering angle. (I didn't like that option, or having to do 5-point-turns in parking lots!) or2. Run some aluminum adapter/spacers. (make sure they are properly torqued, and re-torqued after they settle. Also, hub-centric rings are a really good idea, because the lugs are NOT meant to support the weight of the truck.)This is what I did, and have had no issues. I used a torque-wrench set to 85 foot/pounds.

NissanHunter

I was wondering about that. Did the wheels or tires rub? What thickness of spacer did you go with...looks like 2 inch.

With yours being a Frontier and mine a Hardbody, I wonder if I will have the same probems or get lucky and not have them. My luck I'm sure I'll have the same problems if not more.

Anybody have a stock Hardbody with the Titan 18's????

I can't find one damn stock (not lowered) Hardbody owner with the 18" Titan wheels anywhere on the net. If somebody knows one PLEASE HELP!

With the costs of the wheels, getting the hubs bored, spacers and rings I could have bought some wheels that simply bolted on my truck. I just love the look of the Titan wheels!

Thanks for the help!

hessianben

Ok, you should spend some time here:

http://www.nicoclub.com

all of your questions have been asked, and most have been answered well somewhere in the threads...

The spacers in the photo are 2", but you could get away with 1"-1.5" and cause less strain on the studs and ball joints.Also, if you run spacers, they will widen the stance of the truck, and will not tuck inside of the fenders, if you're concerned with that...The benefit of running spacers is that you do not have to bore the wheels to make them fit!A pair of spacers can be found on ebay for about $60.So, you can save the amount of the machine shop, and keep a lot of steering angle, but widen the truck, or, pay to bore the wheels (or DIY) and keep the wheels under the fenders, just with less steering angle.

Choices.

As for tires- you can find pairs of used tires on Craigslist for cheap sometimes... just know what to look for as far as age and tire wear when you examine them. Tire shops usually keep good pairs of used tires around.... it's worth asking.

AL1222
Car: hardbody

here are a few pics of my hardbody with the titan se wheels, tires that i have are 245/45/18 penty of rubber and they are flush with the wheel. bore the center out and dont use spacers, you shouldnt need spacers. the wheels tuck in very nice and do not stick out. i dunno if theres a huge difference between the 97 and mine but it should work

NissanHunter

That's a sweet ride....look freakin great with the wider tires! I wanted to go 245 but wasn't sure if they would hang outside the fenders or not. I like the looks of the fat tire plus the added wheel protection. Do they rub at all...even when the wheel is cranked?

BronkStang
Car: 06 commander,94 HB Freddie,97 HB autox, 89 Bronco-stang

damn i like that! the wheels i mean

quicksilver05

sooo i did this one, figured id share a pic.... sorry its from my blackberry

-center hubs bored -245-45 tire

love it

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

hessianben wrote: Also, hub-centric rings are a really good idea, because the lugs are NOT meant to support the weight of the truck.
Not sure if I mis-read something, but hubcentric rings won't do you any good with spacers. The hub doesn't interface with the wheel.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”