15 or 16 Inch Wheels on '02 I35?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
brianmcw09
Car: 2002 Infiniti I35
2002 Mitsubishi Galant

I'm looking for ways to keep my I35 economical, and was wondering if I can put 15 or 16 inch wheels on the car? I'm not looking for performance, just looking to save a few $$. With tires on the cheap end costing almost $100 a piece for the stock 17's, it gets expensive.

If I can put 15 or 16 inch wheels on the car, what size tires would I be looking at?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You bought a luxury car. If you awant cheap tires, buy a Corolla. You'll save on insurance, gas, and maintenance.

However, since I'm here: You can use the specs on TireRack.com to find the original tire's outside diameter. Stick with a tire with that OD and you'll be fine.

Going with a smaller wheel is kinda silly, though. 17's aren't expensive anymore - they're more common than 15's. Consider what you're spending: You've gotta buy a set of 15's, then you'll likely get less mileage out of the tires (lower load rating), which means you're replacing them sooner.

Hit Craigslist and buy good used tires that fit. That's a better way to save $ if you absolutely must.

However, even that can be false economy (especially considering the safety factor). Cheap, used, aged, or worn tires mean longer stopping distances, reduced traction, and worse fuel economy. Don't drive in my area. :)

I found some off-brand tires in your stock size for $72 at tires-easy.com, and GOOD ones for $91 on TireRack. Get the right tires for your car.

brianmcw09
2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Can understand your point, and I agree it's a luxury car.

Had I had a choice at the time of purchase (purchased from my father), I would probably not have picked the I35, knowing the class of car and the repair costs I've had on it so far. I'm 2+ years in on the car with 2+ years left to pay it off, way upside down on the loan (147,000 miles and I put 36,000 miles a year on it). Since that's something I can't easily fix, I'm just looking for the most economical way to keep the car running and usable for another 80,000 miles or so.

I'll take a look at the tires-easy.com site and see what I can do there. Last set I put on were the Nexen's, and they ran me $380 for the set locally.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Well, you're in the right place to save some $$$ on the maintenance and repair end of your ride... We'll be here to help.

The good news is, it's essentially a Maxima with some fancy trimmings.

Look for a higher treadwear rating #. Anything over 400 should last you 40K miles if maintained properly.

brianmcw09
2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to some of the maintenance that has to be done to my I35, it's probably getting garaged in the next couple weeks so I can work on it at my own pace. Currently needs valve covers and valve cover gaskets, coil packs, engine mounts, and a few other small things done - as well as the tires.

Just picked up a second car (won't mention the brand/model for fear of beatings lol) that should be fairly cheap and reliable while I work on getting my I35 back in line. Once my I35's back to the way it needs to be, I'll probably garage the second car and start restoring it fully.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

brianmcw09 wrote:Appreciate it. I'm not looking forward to some of the maintenance that has to be done to my I35, it's probably getting garaged in the next couple weeks so I can work on it at my own pace. Currently needs valve covers and valve cover gaskets, coil packs, engine mounts, and a few other small things done - as well as the tires.
Honestly, most of this stuff isn't that bad. Engine mounts are very simple...all you need is a floor jack to support the engine and a wrench to loosen the bolts. The mounts are easy to reach and very simple to remove. Valve covers and gaskets aren't that tough either (though you'll have to remove the upper intake manifold to get to the rear). And aside from cost, coils will be cake while you're under there for the valve covers.

Really, the I35 shouldn't be expensive to maintain. It might be a luxury car, but it's not a BMW, or even really an Infiniti. It's a very solid car mechanically, without a lot of electronic garbage, and relatively problem-free. I seriously doubt a Corolla would be any cheaper to own. This isn't some 7-speed V12 luxomonstrosity. If you're willing to do the work in your driveway, you shouldn't be any worse off than with any "average" car. There's really nothing particularly complex or abnormally expensive on the car. I don't say this to be contrary or argumentative, but as reassurance. Don't be too worried. We can help you keep the car affordable to own.

As AZHitman noted, the I35 is really just a Maxima. The only differences are some body parts and the clock trim on the dash. All other parts can be sourced from a Nissan dealer, and Nissan dealers are equipped to service the car. So you can probably save some bucks there.

If you're really looking to save money on tires, don't forget about the used option. Quality is very hit-or-miss, but it's worth taking a look at what various tire shops might have on hand. Used tires are extremely cheap, so even buying 2 or 3 sets to equal the life of a new tire can still end up being cheaper.
brianmcw09 wrote:Just picked up a second car (won't mention the brand/model for fear of beatings lol)
No beatings, don't worry. We might be a Nissan site, but we're all car enthusiasts here.

brianmcw09
2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Again, definitely appreciate it. The rear mount is the one that's out (at least that's what the dealership told me), and that's the one I'm most concerned about getting to. Is that one simpler than I'm thinking?

I've already done the plugs, so I know the valve covers and coils are accessible, just a real pain on the car (but about the same for any V6 I guess). I'll probably be picking the parts up over the next month or two. I'm hoping after getting these things changed out, as well as a couple other minor items it gets back to normal.

I guess I'm just used to working on the Mitsubishi I4's where everything is pretty accessable (a Galant is what I picked up recently). I am however thankful that the I35 has a timing chain instead of a belt.

Thanks again.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”