$137+taxes for service #2 - worth it?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
shortyemi
Car: Versa

My V is due for service soon but my mom thinks it's better just to get an oil change and rotate the tires at our own mechanics and not the dealers. The car was bought in June used at just under 8,000km, currently at ~15,000km. What do you think?

Service 2

Replace engine oil and filterLubricate all locks, latches, hinges and steering stopsRoad test vehicleRotate tires (except 350Z)Inspect the following:- all lights- automatic transmission/CVT fluid- axle & suspension parts- battery fluid level/terminals- brake fluid level- brake pads, rotors, drums & linings- charging/starting system- clutch fluid- differential oil (a)- drive shaft boots- engine air filter- engine coolant level/top-off- engine drive belts- exhaust system- front suspension ball joints- horn operation- in-cabin microfilter- manual transmission oil- power steering fluid/top-off- propeller shaft (4WD/AWD)- radiator hoses- shock absorbers/struts- steering gear and linkage- steering linkage ball joints- transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)- washer fluid level/top-off- wiper blades

darkwind25
Car: 08 versa SL HB.full tech package

Wow I should be working those over charging dealerships.Where obviously the Parts and Service managers bonuses are based on wo's

Out here at the dealership I work at the service #2 would be36.95 for the oil change and 13.99 for the tire rotate.Why are they charging to look at the other stuff.Half of that they can look at while its up in the air and the rest they can look at while they are filling it with oil. plus all applicable Provincal & Gov't screw us taxes.

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

my second maintanance was done at 15k, and it cost me $275

07Vsdn
Car: 2007 Versa SL Sedan

it's a versa, not a gt-r.

you're crazy if you spend that much.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

It is a lot of money for a cursory inspection [which is what happens].

"Gotta have it done to keep warranty in effect" . . . so give your mechaninc the list and ask him to take a coupla minutes to walk around the car -- check it off in your service guide [get him to sign the printoff you are going to give him] and away you go.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

darkwind25 wrote:Why are they charging to look at the other stuff.

darkwind25
Car: 08 versa SL HB.full tech package

Ive had my V since april and I'm coming up to my 48k service.If it wasn't for the fact that i worked at the dealership,I'd be scared of what its gonna cost me.Withthe cvt fluid,the last cpl we've done has been close to 650.00 with taxes.

hrdcorpdrummer15
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

wow. i only payed $30 to 40 for my dealership to do ALL of that stuff. sounds like a rip to me. find out why so much.

Mubbly
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S Magnetic Grey

hrdcorpdrummer15 wrote:wow. i only payed $30 to 40 for my dealership to do ALL of that stuff. sounds like a rip to me. find out why so much.
Which dealer?? I paid $127.44 for my 7,500 service... I want a better service shop. ;__;

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

My 7,500 mile service cost $147, but i didn't pay for it as my dealer threw in the first year of service free with my car. It's not worth the money at all. You could have the service done for $50 - new oil and filter, rotating/balancing the tires. That's all you need. You're paying huge labor fees for the to look at the car and go "o hey, it's still new, there's nothing wrong with it."

Total waste of money IMO, but I didn't pay for it.

dorway
Car: 2009 Versa SL CVT HB

OMG. The cost for regular dealer maintenance is so high. I have a 2007 Camry and the regular dealer maintenance fee is about $70/140/280 for every 5000/15000/30000 miles.I thought the cost for my Versa's should be roughly the same. Maybe I should consider maintenaning my Versa somewhere else.

hrdcorpdrummer15
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Mubbly wrote:
Which dealer?? I paid $127.44 for my 7,500 service... I want a better service shop. ;__;
Stockton Nissan in Stockton, CA

metallickirby

A little bit off topic... but..... do these dealers care if we have a CAI installed? Will they mark it down somewhere and possibly void warranty?

sooner4x4
Car: 2007 Versa S sedan

Worth it? NO.

Let's see, I have 20,000 miles on my Versa, I do my own service. To date I have spent:

5 oil changes: Total $18x5 = $90Nissan air filter: $20

I need to replace the cabin filter, not sure how much that is, probably around $25. And the wiper blades will need replacing.

All that adds up to about one 7500 mile service at the dealership.

I do my own tire rotations. I check my fluids more often than every 7500 miles. Everyone really needs to find someone to show them how to check their own fluids. When I am under the hood or under the car (oil changes), I look everything over. It is not rocket science.

For those who aren't comfortable doing some of this stuff themselves, find a good shop that won't rip you off every 7500 miles. Or read through the manual carefully, then go to the dealer and specify what you want done, based on what is actually needed.

I have four vehicles (four drivers in the household). No way could I afford not to do the work myself.

Return to “Versa General Chat”