1 Super ZX 2+2 TT Z32 build

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
1 Super ZX
Car: 300zx N/A, 300zx 2+2 TT swap

So after hitting rock bottom and selling my N/A I realized i had to get serious about fixing the twin turbo and so it began! This was my first engine pull i thought it was going to be a lot easier then what it turned out to be all i got to say is that wow does the internet make it look easy took me 2 Sundays with a couple of good friends to get it out makes me respect the guys who have done engine pulls on 300z's thank you Dane for all the tips.

The plans for the engine is to rebuild it all boring out the block possibly port and polishing the heads and maybe some upgrades along the way no idea what it will snowball into but ill keep everyone updated so here are the pictures of everything i have done so far. And i dont know enough to know what year engine it is if anyone could tell me that would be great.

CrazedZ32Owner
Car: 91 Z32 TT(no motor), 2008 350Z Nismo, 05 Pontiac Sunfire speed machine!!! :)

ewww look how dirty those pistons are.... :)

nice dude cant wait to pull mine next year... idk if that is genuine enthusiasm or sarcasm lol

A Paratroopers 300zx
Car: 1992 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo
2004 Toyota MR-S

Looking good on the tear down phase! I especially like all the coolant in the #4 and #6 cylinders haha. Did that happen before you took off the heads? Or did you just spill some in there?

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Mmmmm, engine builds...me likey! :dblthumb:

CrazedZ32Owner
Car: 91 Z32 TT(no motor), 2008 350Z Nismo, 05 Pontiac Sunfire speed machine!!! :)

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:Looking good on the tear down phase! I especially like all the coolant in the #4 and #6 cylinders haha. Did that happen before you took off the heads? Or did you just spill some in there?
WOW i totally missed that lol thought it was a shadow.... that would be one heck of a blown HG :eek:

1 Super ZX

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:Looking good on the tear down phase! I especially like all the coolant in the #4 and #6 cylinders haha. Did that happen before you took off the heads? Or did you just spill some in there?
To answer your question im confused by this to be honest because one side was dry and the other came out wet with coolant i dont know if its a coincidence but cylinder 4 and 6 were the ones with the low compression problem so i dont want to make any assumptions just yet i want a machine shop to test the block and heads then go off of that. Im crossing my fingers that the heads or block aren't cracked that would really throw a curveball.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

1 Super ZX wrote:To answer your question im confused by this to be honest because one side was dry and the other came out wet with coolant i dont know if its a coincidence but cylinder 4 and 6 were the ones with the low compression problem so i dont want to make any assumptions just yet i want a machine shop to test the block and heads then go off of that. Im crossing my fingers that the heads or block aren't cracked that would really throw a curveball.
Actually, a blown head gasket is far more common as the cause for coolant to flood the cylinders like that than a cracked block or head. Cracks are still definitely possible though. I would have machine shop thoroughly inspect the block and heads for cracks, but my guess is a bad head gasket. Good luck and I hope things go smoothly for the rebuild!

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Looking good! Glad to see another build thread on here! We've definitely been lacking in that department lately!

Looking forward to future updates!

1 Super ZX

So a little update on some parts i picked up for the z that were needed i really dislike a FMIC set up but money wont allow for sidemounts so i bought a cheap i think cx racing FMIC since i have the N/A bumper it will hold me off until i have money for a good set of sidemounts and a jspec. Also got a gently used a/c condenser and a stock rad because im not too sure about re using the aftermarket one.

1 Super ZX

Update: So i have been real busy with school and work and this project has been going really slow but i have been able to install DW 740cc injectors, ASP Underdrive pulley, and i have done the TB coolant delete. All coming together very nicely.

vulcanrush
Car: 93 300zx n/a to tt

1 Super ZX wrote:Update: So i have been real busy with school and work and this project has been going really slow but i have been able to install DW 740cc injectors, ASP Underdrive pulley, and i have done the TB coolant delete. All coming together very nicely.
is there any way for you to return or exchange those dw fuel injectors? they have a pretty sketchy reputation from what i've read, from idling issues to inconsistency.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

1 Super ZX wrote:Image
What are those brass fittings coming out of your intake valve covers for? I don't think I have ever seen fittings like that in those positions...

300ZXttZMAN
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo 5 spd pearl white.

My Daily: 2008 Frontier NISMO package, 4x4 Crew Cab.

[quote="vulcanrushUpdate: So i have been real busy with school and work and this project has been going really slow but i have been able to install DW 740cc injectors, ASP Underdrive pulley, and i have done the TB coolant delete. All coming together very nicely.[/quote]
is there any way for you to return or exchange those dw fuel injectors? they have a pretty sketchy reputation from what i've read, from idling issues to inconsistency.[/quote]

Yea OP vulcanrush had told me the same think luckly i did a couple of pre build threads :) ha... Nismo 740cc is the only way to go

vulcanrush

300ZXttZMAN wrote:
Yea OP vulcanrush had told me the same think luckly i did a couple of pre build threads :) ha... Nismo 740cc is the only way to go
the really super builds, Mark, use bde fuel rails with ID (injector dynamics) fuel injectors, those are even better.

1 Super ZX

Reply to vulcan No i cant return them they were bought from a friend for a really good price which i cant complain about but you get what you paid for so im honestly just hoping for the best since his Z ran fine with them they are less then a week old.

300ZXttZMAN

vulcanrush wrote:
300ZXttZMAN wrote:
the really super builds, Mark, use bde fuel rails with ID (injector dynamics) fuel injectors, those are even better.
nah ha i already have my mind set on getting the nismo 740cc and 300 degree fuel rail..

vulcanrush

300ZXttZMAN wrote:
nah ha i already have my mind set on getting the nismo 740cc and 300 degree fuel rail..
they're great don't get me wrong, i run the same setup.
but if i ever upgrade my fuel system again (use e85, etc.), i'm going to run the bde stuff with ID fuel injectors.
nismos are great, but they're not the only way to go was all i was trying to say.

1 Super ZX

Update
So i have deleted the AIV, CC, EGR, TB coolant hardlines and cruise control. And got the lower timing belt cover situation situated!

300ZXttZMAN

vulcanrush wrote:
300ZXttZMAN wrote:
they're great don't get me wrong, i run the same setup.
but if i ever upgrade my fuel system again (use e85, etc.), i'm going to run the bde stuff with ID fuel injectors.
nismos are great, but they're not the only way to go was all i was trying to say.

ahh okkk

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

Looking good man! Isn't it a great feeling to simplify as much as you can from these beasts?! Did you do those brass fittings on your valve covers or were they there before?

TTkickedin
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT 5 speed, t-tops, < currently in intensive care unit!
2011 MBTA BUS

1 Super ZX wrote:Update
So i have deleted the AIV, CC, EGR, TB coolant hardlines and cruise control. And got the lower timing belt cover situation situated!
1superzx, you have inspired me to paint my timing belt cover, very well done, sir.

And you think two days is long to take out a vg? Nooope. Try 6 months because youre across the us and your deadbeat dad volunteers to do it.

Lesson learned for me. :facepalm:

1 Super ZX

A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:Looking good man! Isn't it a great feeling to simplify as much as you can from these beasts?! Did you do those brass fittings on your valve covers or were they there before?
Sorry i did a little research on them and i cant figure them out but more then likely probably a custom PCV or catch can set up seeing as they are coming off the valve covers like so only reason i don't know is because i ended up buying that motor off of a friend who got hit by a drunk driver and was giving me a deal it has 3k miles on it he had just rebuilt it. Ended up costing less then redoing my block and doing new pistons and rings so i bought it i will have to contact him because i did compare the valve covers and yea they seem to be after market or of a different year thanks for pointing that out.
TTkickedin wrote:
1 Super ZX wrote:Update

1superzx, you have inspired me to paint my timing belt cover, very well done, sir.

And you think two days is long to take out a vg? Nooope. Try 6 months because youre across the us and your deadbeat dad volunteers to do it.

Lesson learned for me. :facepalm:
Honestly man im not all that great on time always busy with work at Toyota and school at UTI but thanks for letting me know im inspiring you that keeps me motivated im a 19 year old kid and im just living my dreams out i love cars and im doing it on my own and im loving every second of it i just want her running again.

z32pilot62
Car: 1990 300zx N/A A/T (Sold)
1990 300zx 2+2 N/A A/T-M/T
1972 Buick Skylark Custom
1970 Chevy Blazer (Sold)
1977 280z (Sold)
1991 Civic Dx (Beater)

1 Super ZX wrote:
A Paratroopers 300zx wrote:Looking good man! Isn't it a great feeling to simplify as much as you can from these beasts?! Did you do those brass fittings on your valve covers or were they there before?
Sorry i did a little research on them and i cant figure them out but more then likely probably a custom PCV or catch can set up seeing as they are coming off the valve covers like so only reason i don't know is because i ended up buying that motor off of a friend who got hit by a drunk driver and was giving me a deal it has 3k miles on it he had just rebuilt it. Ended up costing less then redoing my block and doing new pistons and rings so i bought it i will have to contact him because i did compare the valve covers and yea they seem to be after market or of a different year thanks for pointing that out.
Here is what they are for: http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.as ... id=1019112\
Keeps you from burning oil that is pulled from the drivers side exhaust cam cover under high loads and cornering.

A Paratroopers 300zx
2004 Toyota MR-S

^^ Word thanks. That's an interesting mod!

1 Super ZX

Its about that time for an update weekend didnt go as planned was going to drop it in today but forgot 02 sensors at nappa at UTI but o well more time to prep things up so this is how its looking got a pretty much new harness from legionZ32 and showing a stock vs Random flow Downpipes not the best but it will do better over stock.

Then i was looking through my pictures and came across my N/A how i miss driving a z

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Uh oh, better NOT get maaco! You have two z's? you lucky bastard!!

time to upgrade to a jspec front? :D

That motor looks SO good with those colors man. Very nice. I may do something similar except the top panel will be painted wrinkle black with red lettering, and the timing cover will be painted WHITE with some red/black hand painted design. It should look awesome!
1 super zx wrote:honestly man im not all that great on time always busy with work at Toyota and school at UTI but thanks for letting me know im inspiring you that keeps me motivated im a 19 year old kid and im just living my dreams out i love cars and im doing it on my own and im loving every second of it i just want her running again.
I'm in the same boat as you man, 19 with a federally F***'d motor and not much spare time at all and even less money. Glad i could keep ya goin bro

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

TTkickedin wrote:Uh oh, better NOT get maaco! You have two z's? you lucky bastard!!
My Maaco job is still holding up very well.

TTkickedin
2011 MBTA BUS

Ace2cool wrote:
TTkickedin wrote:Uh oh, better NOT get maaco! You have two z's? you lucky bastard!!
My Maaco job is still holding up very well.

I think it depends on which one you go to. Some care, some could give two s*** less. Hit or miss pretty much.

Case in point, my brother had a 1987 bmw 535i, needed a new paintjob. Well, they painted over the chrome (not a bad idea for that car, but still,) and the rear passenger door had a really bad paint sag from overspraying. it looked terrible. Otherwise it would've been a pretty nice job.

legion
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Looking good man! Now you have my old engine block, injectors, ecu, and wiring harness in your car. My Z shall live on! LOL

Yes that's right guys, we were successfully able to remove the EFI harness from the car WITH the engine still in. That's what I call beast mode :chuckle:

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”