'08 Rogue: Whirring Noise on Accel?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Anthem
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Hi all,

I read this site extensively when I was looking for a car back in December, and I wanted to thank you all for contributing and convincing me to buy my lovely Rogue!

I've been having an issue over the past two months or so with a whirring/whistling noise whenever I accelerate at medium-high speeds. I've done some pretty thorough searching to see if anyone has posted about this here, but I didn't see anything in the Rogue forums. I was hoping someone else here might have some ideas.

The Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD, approx 53k miles

The Noise: It's a bit hard to describe, but it falls somewhere between a whistle, a hum, and a whirr. Imagine if you blew across the top of a bottle, and then replayed that noise so fast that it sounded like a continuous hum. That's about the best I can describe it. It's higher pitched, but not out of normal hearing range (my higher frequency hearing is pretty bad, so I feel confident that anyone would hear this). It's loud too, well above the decibel level of road noise.

The Conditions: The noise only occurs at moderate and higher speeds, above about 30 mph. It also only occurs when I have my foot on the accelerator -- no matter how fast I'm going, it does not occur when I'm cruising. I have to be actively engaging the gas pedal for it to happen. I played around with RPMs to see if there are any particular RPMs where it happens versus others, and that seemed to be a red herring -- it can happen anywhere between 1200rpm and 3500rpm (at which point the car downshifts). The only consistent variable is acceleration.

I did find something in the Murano forums that sounded very similar to my issue, and required repositioning the electric throttle control actuator: air-intake-suction-whistling-t334667.html

However, I don't know nearly enough about the Rogue/Murano engines to know whether the issue might affect both cars. Could it be the same thing? I'm hesitant to bring it to a dealer without more information, because I've never yet had a mechanic who has successfully diagnosed any issues that required actually driving the vehicle.

Any thoughts would be very welcome, and thank you!

philipa_240sx

Anthm,

Welcome to the NICOClub Rogue Forums!

You might want to read the recent thread on deceleration noises:

2010-nissan-rogue-decel-noise-t540457.html

I do get some noise on acceleration as you describe, but it's never anything that I have concerned myself with. These noises appear to be typical of many Nissan CVT's.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with your Rogue, but I'm sure you can get it fixed up and working perfectly again, starting with a little discussion.

My guess would be an issue with the CVT transmission, possibly the transfer case for the AWD or the valve body which is a component of the CVT.

The good news is, your 08 Rogue CVT transmission has a 10 year, 200,000 km warranty so if there is a problem with the CVT itself you will be covered! I would recommend taking it to your dealer and allow them to diagnose the problem and recommend a fix.

Please let us know how this turns out, and we can continue brainstorming possible ideas in this thread, the CVT is just my guess but others may have other ideas.

devien220
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

I know exactly what Anthem is talking about. My Rogue has been doing the exact same thing for the last month or two. It only makes that whistling noise when I accelerate sometimes, it doesn't do it all the time. I have about 49,000miles on car and was a little worried about that noise too. Hopefully when I take it in for my next oil change I can ask the dealership about it.

I'm a bit relieved to hear I'm not the only one who hears that noise too.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

I have been hearing this noise off and on for a while now (we have 65K miles on our '08 Rogue and 47K on our new tranny) This weekend the wife and I went for a ride and I pointed it out and she heard it for the first time. Of course, now that she hears it (just like the tranny rumble), she hears it all the time!

Ours is a windy, whistly sound, like if your window was cracked slightly. We hear it under acceleration starting around 2,000 rpms and usually when going up hills....which is basically the only time that our rpms ever get that high. Its pretty subtle but once you hear it you know it.

We will be getting our 65K oil change soon and I will bring it up with our dealer's service writer. We had purchased an extended warranty (5 yr/ 100K) so it should be covered in full. I will let you know what we find out.

kerrton

Daytripper and others: it appears you all have 2008 Rogue's - have any of you had your CVT tranny replaced, or are you all on original 2008 CVT?

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

As I said: CVT replaced at 18K miles....the whirring sound started at around 60K?

kerrton

Well I too hear this noise and can't remember if I've always had it or if it's something new, I've never been alarmed by it and assumed it to be normal. My noise occurs only when highway cruising and I step it down, once the rpms reach 3000+ I hear the very distinct "whirring" noise that is not coming from the engine, almost certainly the trans. But again the performance of the CVT is flawless, fluid is crystal clear, and the noise is not alarming so I'm going to conclude that this is normal operation for the time being.

Those who have contacted your dealer regarding this issue, please let us know the outcome, thank you.

TaiLuu
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano LE AWD
2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum

Your Rogue has a supercharger ! ;)
It's probably the CVT belt making noise
For a min I thought it was a wheel bearing but you said on accel.

kerrton

I think you're probably right TaiLuu, thanks for the input!

Regardless the powertrain is running very well, I am getting amazing fuel efficiency and if there was a problem with the CVT I would imagine I would notice a drop in mileage due to increased friction etc..

Also the 10 year CVT warranty on the 08-10 Rogue's is nice peace of mind.

smittay
Car: 2008 Rogue SLAWD 42,000 miles - Silver

Hi everyone... did anybody find a fix to this Whirring noise / acceleration problem???

i just got a 2008 Silver Rogue SLAWD with 42,700 miles on it from my aunt in maryland, im in MA

any time i hit the gas and accelerate at speeds above 45 mph, i hear this huge whirring noise you are all talking about... the fast i go, the louder it gets... and corresponds directly with pushing the accelerator

if anyone has found any resolution, please post the remedy.. i intend to take it to the dealer this week

i heard something about a 10 year, 200,000km CVT replacement policy???

im new to this, any resolved answers would be great...
thanks so much, erik :)

kerrton

Hi there, welcome to the Forum!!

Your 2008 Rogue does have the 10 year/200,000km warranty, absolutely! The whirring noise is very intrusive and annoying, and I've found its much worse with higher temps, in winter time the noise is non existent. My conclusion has been that its a noise associated with normal operation for this design CVT, nothing you can do about it in my experience.

There is a related issue, which in addition to the whirring noise at high temps the car will go in to "limp" mode. The fix is to lower the CVT fluid level and adjust the coolant strength, which some owners have reported cures the performance issues and eliminates the whirring noise.

I brought my car to the dealer once for this issue, they checked the CVT fluid and the coolant and said all was good, don't worry about the noise. I've driven over 40,000 km since I first started hearing the noise and its still running perfect, same performance as new and even better efficiency.

Good idea to take it to the dealer, get them to check the fluid level, the coolant strength, and you can even get them to hook up the diagnostic tool and have the computer check the CVT fluid life. It monitors all the parameters of the powertrain over the life of the vehicle and constantly calculates fluid life, it will indicate how much stress and remaining the life the fluid has.

Let us know what you find out after your dealer visit!

KTM144sx
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue S

We had this same whirring noise in our '08 Rogue. It was solved by a simple CVT fluid drain and refill.

You can do this yourself and it's as simple as an oil change except you can't reset the computer that tells how much life the fluid has left. There is a really good thread on this site that explains how to do it. A few important points: the fluid level has to be set correctly as over-filling causes problems, the fluid has to be at the right temperature when you check it and it has to be checked while the engine is running.

Yev
Car: Nissan Rogue

Hi, Anthem. The noises you are describing match with those my 2008 Nissan Rogue S use to have. I approached a Nissan dealership and had the problem rectified by installing an Xtronic CVT (2011 version), free of charge - I was under warranty. Ever since, I have never experienced that occasional humming/whirring/whistling noise. However, that is not to say that your problem may not lay elsewhere...

Yev

08Roguer
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL, 2wd

First off, I own a 2008 Rogue, SL, FWD. Has roughly 60k on it. We bought it new in early 2008 and have loved the car ever since. Only maintenance has been a set of brakes, a set of tires, an air filter, and regular oil/fluid changes, etc. Overall very reliable, fun to drive, and quite practical. In mid-August, I brought the Rogue in for regular servicing and spoke with the technician about a low metal-on-metal whirling noise from the front of the car when the car was engaged in drive around 25-40mph. This includes acceleration and deceleration. The noise seems to dissipate (or maybe road/engine noise takes over) after about 40mph. The noise also seems to not occur when making turns, but only straight ahead. The noise seems to get louder as the car warms up throughout the day - for instance, driving this morning when it was cool outside, I didn't hear it at all, but by the time I got to work, the noise was very evident. Additionally, it is much more prevalent with the windows down and driving through a neighborhood where cars are parked on the side, or by a wall, or some other place where the noise can bounce "back into" the cabin. Upon inspection the on-duty tech informed me that the transmission was shot and that it would need to be replaced under the extended warranty offered by Nissan. We scheduled the service, which occurred August 26th.

I picked the vehicle up on August 28th and it seemed as though the noise had disappeared. We drove the vehicle on a road trip that weekend to Pennsylvania and about halfway through the trip up (as the car warmed up and the day wore on), the noise returned - seemingly louder than before. We finished out our trip and upon returning, I called the service department, informed them of the noise returning, and asked for them to take another look at the vehicle. We scheduled a follow-up for Monday, Sept. 9th. Upon picking the vehicle up on the afternoon of Sept. 9th, I was informed that the techs had "tightened up something" on the subframe, and that the service manager had ridden with the tech and detected no noise. I thanked them, took the car, and left. The next morning, driving the car to work, the noise had returned, and it has remained since. I'm becoming slightly frustrated and seeking input.

I'm not sure if the issue is something unrelated to the transmission (perhaps a rubbing issue with a brake rotor dust shield, or a caliper/brake that is dragging) and bad coincidence, or if there's some larger issue with the replacement transmission, but I'm looking for help. Tryign to capture the noise on a cell phone camera is helpless, and the dealers are starting to think I'm "hearing" things since they can't seem to replicate the nosie. I don't think dropping the car off for service/check will resolve the issue, hence why I've not yet scheduled yet another follow-up appt. A ride along seems like the best solution, which is what I suggested to the service mgr in an email. As of yet, he's not yet responded to me.

I welcome any ideas or insights, or similar experiences. Again, there's no real driveability issues - no power loss, none of the normal whine of a failing transmission. There's also no pulling one side or the other, no braking issues, and no clunking or noises when making a turn, etc., normally associated with failing axles, cv joints, etc. Just this low swirling, grinding metal on metal noise, high pitched, and perfectly aligned to the speed of the wheels rotating...

Thanks in advance fellow Rogue and or Nissan'ers

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

CVT, we all have that. can be normal. increases with summer temps.

08Roguer

That's what I feared - but I was hopeful that the transmission change that occured less than a month ago fixed the problem. I guess what i don't understand is, do they replace the '08's with "newer" transmissions (with more kinks worked out) or just replacement '08 tranmissions? Are they rebuilt? What are the chances of a second faulty one that fast? And by "normal" is this a new normal for these - is that a result of the "newer" replacment trannys? I ask b/c, as everyone else says, it didn't make that noise before...so why now if its supposedly normal. Thanks again!

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

we have a whole thread to this noise. its pretty much normal for CVT's

rogue-cvt-issues-fail-safe-and-whining- ... 40-60.html

08-rogue-whirring-noise-on-accel-t540506.html

08Roguer

Hi all,

I'm also experiencing what I'd call a "whiring noise", but its more metal on metal...or maybe I'm misdescribing. See my thread here:

strange-metal-on-metal-noise-any-insight-t580379.html.

As I mention in my reply about this being "normal", I'm afraid I'm not sure if this is a new normal, or when I should care of not care? The noise is "new" and extremely distracting...welcome any thoughts...

"That's what I feared - but I was hopeful that the transmission change that occured less than a month ago fixed the problem. I guess what i don't understand is, do they replace the '08's with "newer" transmissions (with more kinks worked out) or just replacement '08 tranmissions? Are they rebuilt? What are the chances of a second faulty one that fast? And by "normal" is this a new normal for these - is that a result of the "newer" replacment trannys? I ask b/c, as everyone else says, it didn't make that noise before...so why now if its supposedly normal. Thanks again!"

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Forum Posting Etiquette Tips: Do not double post (post the same message twice in one thread) or cross post (place the same message across several threads).

ramesh_aryal
Car: Nissan Rogue 2008

I have a Nissan Rogue 2008 with 96000 Miles in it. Recently, around 84K miles, it started making the similar whirring sound. The sound starts very mild, like an iron metal hitting the tip of an empty bottle, and then increases in pitch and volume. This is only when I have driven some miles, say 2 - 3 miles after ignition, and only when I hit the Gas. If I leave the gas paddle, the sound stops. Basically, only when accelerating at 2 or 3 RPM or above.
I am in the Dealership right now and let's see what they say. I am hoping it is not expensive to me (if CVT is coverd under warranty). I will keep you posted.

Return to “Rogue Forum”