'08 G37 Introduction and Clutch Cylinder Issues

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
middletj1983
Car: Infiniti G37S 2008 Manual

Hi,

First time Forum poster - I have an 08 Infiniti G37S Manual - 77k miles;
The clutch remains depressed and over a short drive became progressively difficult to engange gear - loss of fluid and none left in the reservoir. I am not fully sure whether or not it is the Clutch Master or the Clutch Slave that is leaking - I am hoping for the Master to be the problem to avoid having to pay the garage to drop the transmission which would mean ideally I should be changing the Clutch Pack also to make the most of the labour...I can't really afford to do this (looking at $2k plus).

Does anybody have any experiences with this? It seems to be a common problem. - Can anyone recommend the best way to get a Haynes manual alternative so I can replace the Master Cylinder myself? (I was guessing a Nissan 350Z Haynes may be suitable for this job?) Apologies for the length of this query, hopefully someone can help.

Thanks,

Jason

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I don't have any recommendations on what the problem is since I've only owned automagics for the last 12 years...but I can save you some effort on wasting time with a Haynes manual by pointing you to the factory service manual:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G37/Coupe/2008/

^^ link contains complete FSM

middletj1983

Audtatious!!! - Many Thanks, this is a huge help! I'm aiming for a Master Cylinder replacement and super heavy duty nissan brake fluid to fix the issue if the fault appears to be with the Master - failing that...soak it up and replace the slave and clutch pack at the same time.

Great introduction to the forum there for me, cheers!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Had the clutch Slave Cylinder replaced under warranty at 92k miles on my previous 06 G35 for a sticking clutch pedal

Telcoman

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Let us know what solves the problem. Might help someone down the road. I hate having so many threads where we discuss issues but when resolved the solution is rarely posted.

middletj1983

No problem Audtatious, will do! I have seen a few threads myself with similar issues and coming to a cliff-hanger without knowing whether / how the issue was resolved. The link to the FSM has been helpful so far thanks.

I removed the dust-cover on the bell housing and could see fluid leaking from the Slave (I topped up the clutch fluid to check for obvious leaks). It doesn't appear to be as big a job as I thought for dropping the transmission to replace the slave cylinder and with $$$ constraints at the moment, I am going to go with just the Slave and not the Clutch-Pack considering that I am not paying for labour.

The Master does seem to be ok however the fluid that I had topped up is a dirty black colour now in the reservoir...which has obviously tracked back from the Slave, through the master and into the reservoir, because of this I am going to change the Master Cylinder also to be on the safe side.

I'll be doing the work this week so I'll keep you posted if this works out. Thanks for the interest.

Links:

OEM Master:
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Nissan ... -jk00b.htm

OEM Slave (cheaper here than most sites I found):
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Nissan ... 1JK40D.htm

OEM Slave Pipe Assembly (recommended in the FSM to be changed whenever the slave is changed):
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/Concen ... -JK40A.htm

audtatious

Make sure you replace all fluids and flush the system while at it.

middletj1983

Audtatious! Thanks for all of the help.

The FSM helped a charm! The new Slave and Master Clutch Cylinders (plus pipe assembly) have been replaced, the system flushed and the TSB recommended Super Heavy Duty Dot 3 Brake Fluid has been used.

The old master took a while to remove from the car due to the clutch damper protruding from the base of the cylinder, the new master cylinder does not include this feature (the OEM Master notes that this has been deleted as it causes issues), without this, the new Master Cylinder fit into the tight space easily.

No problems since! Ideally I would have changed the clutch pack at the same time however my car has only 77k miles, one previous owner and as a Brit growing up with Manual Transmission, I am pretty easy on the clutch. As I didn't pay for the labour, I figured if the clutch goes, I'll just take it on the chin that I need to drop the transmission again.

Thanks again.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”