'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Blown284
Car: '08 Infiniti QX56, '99 Mustang Cobra

A comprehensive write-up would be greatly appreciated. Seems there is info scattered...........

hockeyguy21
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56, 2005 Honda Element

Timmbo wrote:I am going to finally be performing this mod on my '08 Armada. The only questions I have are regarding the relay.

What exactly does the relay do?How do I know which wires to connect where on the relay?What relay is the best to use for this mod?Where do you suggest getting the relay from? (does Radio Shack have this?)

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it, I will be able to better assist others with this mod on the forum as well.

Happy Holidays!
the relay and switch, as i assume (since i didnt use it) was just to power the rocker switch, which allowed the speed sensor to either be turned on, or turned off, allowing the screen to play movies. so the switch is so you can go from "modified" to "unmodified"

hockeyguy21

bkelly wrote:Once I installed the 5 prong relays and grounded the brake wire at the back of the head unit everything works great. This is the best mod you can make to the 2008 QX56.
hows the lag on the GPS? it seems without the relays my dads GPS system lags a whole lot.

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

hockeyguy21 wrote:
hows the lag on the GPS? it seems without the relays my dads GPS system lags a whole lot.
The lag is almost a non-factor. I just completed the mod 4 days ago and usally within 15-30 seconds the Nav catches up when you flip the switch back.

hockeyguy21

Timmbo wrote:
The lag is almost a non-factor. I just completed the mod 4 days ago and usally within 15-30 seconds the Nav catches up when you flip the switch back.
maybe i should install the switch then.howd ou wire that switch up?

Timmbo

hockeyguy21 wrote:
maybe i should install the switch then.howd ou wire that switch up?
I don't know that the switch would make it go any quicker. The other problem is that you would also have to place a switch in the e-brake wire, and just doing the switch will cause the "BRAKE" light to stay illuminated on your dash when you are watching video on the front screen.....that is unless you simply ground that wire instead of placing it on a switch, but then when you actually have your e-brake on, the "BRAKE" light will NOT be on. Just some things to think about.

airwolf09

236697 wrote:The above illustration is correct if you have the Navigation, but the system that does not include navigation is a little different. The procedure for Non-Nav 08 Nissian armada is to remove move the radio as shown above. The differance is in the radio itself and the pins. For the Non-Nav its pins 106 & 107.

106 - Ground Parking brake signal107 - Ground Vehicle speed signal

You do not need the relay's unless you want the option to switch back and forth from factory to modified. Just cut the two wires (be sure to leave enough wire from both the rear of the radio and the harness. MAKE SURE NO TO CUT THE WIRE TO SHORT OR YOU WILL BE SCREWED. Take the wires from the rear of the radio and ground them and you have the option of displaying movies on the front screen.

If you dont want to display the movie in the front screen while driving just press the status button on the radio and it will display the default Nissan screen. To revert back to the movie press the DVD/AUX bottom under the FM/AM button and it will display the movie.

Hope this helps everyone.....And the best thing about it is you dont have to spend money an any after market parts.
do you have the picture of how the wiring connect to the relay, switch and pin?is this a 3 pins relay or 4 pins relay. greatly appreciated if you have the wiring diagram of how all the wires go to the switch and relay.

airwolf09

bkelly wrote:Once I installed the 5 prong relays and grounded the brake wire at the back of the head unit everything works great. This is the best mod you can make to the 2008 QX56.
can you please post how you get the wiring connected to the relay and the switch? and where can i get the relay?

Timmbo

airwolf09 wrote:
can you please post how you get the wiring connected to the relay and the switch? and where can i get the relay?
Welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here in the Armada/QX56 Forum!

When I did this mod, I purchased the relays pre-wired with the switch from a gentleman named Shane. He owns a company called Tintmasters in the Dakotas. He will be posting a message soon here, but if you would like to order the relays with the switch (including detailed instructions), please e-mail him at: [email protected] He charges about $50 (includes shipping) and trust me, this makes it an extremely easy mod to perform!

tintmasters
Car: many!

Thanks for the props Timm.

the relay pack I make will have more detailed instructions than those I have already posted. If you are a 12volt savvy person, the instructions I have given will make it a snap. If you are a novice, the instructions I will supply you with will make it simple.

Any one interested in the mod, the pricing is as follows.

$50 LED round rocker switch Blue or Red LED (13/16" hole)

$45 Standard mini toggle switch.

Pricing includes Priority Mail

If you choose to purchase the mod, please paypal me at [email protected]

In the info bar please include what type and/or color of switch and what type of Nissan you have, with or without NAV.

***** This modification is to be used as a novelty item and/or for address entry into the navigation by a passenger, while the vehicle is in motion. I do not condone operation of a vehicle while being distracted by full motion video. By sending funds for this modification you are taking full responsibility for YOUR actions. This relay pack can be used for many other functions. What you choose to do with it is your option. This modification is guaranteed to work. But I cannot guarantee your ability to install it correctly. I will take no responsibility for any incorrect installation. If you choose the round rocker switch you will be required to brill a 13/16" hole in a dash panel. If you do not have access to the correct size step bit for this I will not take your modification back. You will need to re-order a new modification with the small toggle switch. Please make sure you can acquire the correct tools you will need for the job. Please check your local and state laws and understand your consequences.

donkjote
Car: 2008 nissan armada

I have a 2008 armada without navigation and I was trying to do this mod. the problem is that my plugs in the back of the radio don't look like the diagram you have here or the one with the navigatoin. do you know if there is another radio that was used in the 08 armada that has a different plug layout? if so, can you help me with which are the correct pins i need to ground? a picture of the back of my radio is attached. the gray plug is on the top left side if you are looking at the radio from the back. model of the radio is visteon 25915 zq20b. [IMG][/IMG]

donkjote

I am not able to upload the images so i have posted them on google picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/do...Plugs# .

Timmbo

donkjote wrote:I have a 2008 armada without navigation and I was trying to do this mod. the problem is that my plugs in the back of the radio don't look like the diagram you have here or the one with the navigatoin. do you know if there is another radio that was used in the 08 armada that has a different plug layout? if so, can you help me with which are the correct pins i need to ground? a picture of the back of my radio is attached. the gray plug is on the top left side if you are looking at the radio from the back. model of the radio is visteon 25915 zq20b. [IMG][/IMG]
Welcome to NICOclub! Glad to have you here in the Armada/QX56 Forum!

Yes, there are two different head units and two different sets of plugs. There it the unit with Nav, and the unit without Nav. The Factory Service Manual for the Armada will show you which wires are the VSS and the E-Brake. Here is a link to the FSM on NICOclub:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/armada/

Let me know if you have any more questions!

donkjote

the layout diagram in the fsm does not look anything like the plugs in the back of my unit (either the nav or without nav). i have the bose system without navigation and the layout diagram is the same as the basic non bose diagram. could the fsm be incorrect? i am new at this but i may be assuming the following incorrectly. is the layout diagram supposed to show the plugs the way they are on the back of my radio? if so, these diagrams don't match my radio.

Timmbo

Not sure if this helps at all, keep in mind many of the Nissan / Infiniti vehicles have the same harnesses and components. Here is an EX35 WITHOUT Navigation. Let me know if anything here looks familiar.

zer...2.pdf

Timmbo

Not sure what you are looking at, but it looks like the Base Audio has the same connectors as the Bose Audio WITHOUT Nav. The Bose Audio WITH Nav has different connectors.

Go to page 203 of the service manual. That wiring/terminal diagram looks just like what you took a picture of. The terminal block that you will work on is the block that has 32 wires (two rows of 16). You will be working with pin (wire) 106 and 107 according to the FSM. If you scroll down a few pages from there, you will see that 106 is being identified as the Parking Brake Signal, and 107 as the VSS.

That should help, let me know how things work out!

donkjote

i have identified the 32 pin connector but the back of my radio has three plugs on the top row (including the gray plug) and four plugs on the bottom row. the diagram on page 203 shows 3 plugs on the top, three plugs on the bottowm. i just don't want to cut and ground two wires that may not be correct. are the diagrams on the fsm supposed to match the back of the radio?

Timmbo

donkjote wrote:i have identified the 32 pin connector but the back of my radio has three plugs on the top row (including the gray plug) and four plugs on the bottom row. the diagram on page 203 shows 3 plugs on the top, three plugs on the bottowm. i just don't want to cut and ground two wires that may not be correct. are the diagrams on the fsm supposed to match the back of the radio?
It is the 32 pin connector, just make sure you orient your diagram correctly so you cut the correct two wires. Make sure you leave enough wire to splice a connector back to add wire or connect the wires again someday or if you decided to add in the relays.

donkjote

The plugs look like mine on this picture. the only difference is that my 32 pin plug seems to have the release tab on the bottom of the harness. to release the harness from the radio, the tab is on the bottom of the plug so does that mean that pins 106 and 107 are on the top row of the harness? it looks in your picture of the plug that the release button of the plug is on top.

donkjote

any chance you can call me? email me and i will provide my phone number. email is [email protected].

Timmbo

On the diagram you can see where the tab is. Orient your harness so the tab is at the top (with the wires coming out at you) like it is in the diagram, then you will know which two wires they are.

donkjote

i took a chance and did just that before getting this response. it worked. i already put it back together. thanks.

Timmbo

donkjote wrote:i took a chance and did just that before getting this response. it worked. i already put it back together. thanks.
Glad it all worked for you. So do you have an aftermarket DVD player you are hooking to that?

donkjote

it has the factory dvd but you could only watch it on the front screen when the vehicle was stationary.

Timmbo

donkjote wrote:it has the factory dvd but you could only watch it on the front screen when the vehicle was stationary.
Ahhh, I guess I never realized that you could get the factory DVD without getting the Navigation. Cool!

mike9954

does ne1 know were i go to 2 order the bypass for my ex35?

Timmbo

mike9954 wrote:does ne1 know were i go to 2 order the bypass for my ex35?
Welcome to NICOclub! Click on the link below:

zer...rride

If you go the relay route (which I recommend) you can purchase the relay pack from Shane @ Tintmasters.

mellertson
Car: 2004 Nissan Titan SE

I just purchased the 2009 370z with the Navi. The video inputs work great with my iPod but of course the video stops when I don't have the ebrake on or I move the car... I'm wondering if anyone knows if this mod will work for the 370z...

I'm new to moding cars. Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for my car?

Peace...

Timmbo

mellertson wrote:I just purchased the 2009 370z with the Navi. The video inputs work great with my iPod but of course the video stops when I don't have the ebrake on or I move the car... I'm wondering if anyone knows if this mod will work for the 370z...

I'm new to moding cars. Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for my car?

Peace...
Welcome to NICOclub! Thanks for visiting the Armada/QX56 Forum! Congrats on the new 370z, that is a sweet purchase! YES, the mod can be performed on your car. The only issue at this point is that the vehicle is so new that we do not have a Factory Service Manual available at this time. However, we do have the G37 Coupe, which I would be willing to bet has the same wiring harness as your 370z. Here is a link to the G37 manual:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/g37/

So they only issue then would be pulling apart your dash to get to the back of the stereo to tap into the E-Brake wire and the VSS wire.

tintmasters
Car: many!

Get me a pinout and we will make this happen....

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”