'08-'12 Armada/QX56 Watch DVD's on your Navigation Screen!

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Car: 08 Nissan Armada

i have an 08 Armada with out navigation. my mission is to be able watch the front screen while in motion.

there are currently to my understanding to wires that need to be cut.1) the e-brake2) speed sensor

i currently was able to figure out the e-brake wire, cut it and grounded it and i have video without the e-brake being on. now video shows while car is stoped as soon as car is in motion a message apears stated video will resume is stoped.

this is where the speed sensor wire needs to be cut to by pass that message.

can anyone help me out with this..

thanks in advance.....

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Nice job so far, have you checked out the service manual for the '08 yet?

Yes check service manual for 08 but doesn't state the wire for the speed sensor....

Timmbo

Sit tight on this one, I have done a lot of research, and I have yet to find anyone that has completed this mod. I will be saying good bye to my '04 QX56 and getting an '08 Armada in the next month or two. I am hoping by then someone successfully completes this mod, and I will be able to confirm it myself, I will be sure to keep you posted on any info.

well there is to wires that need to be cut one is the e-brake wire wich needs to be grounded inwhich i have done the other is the speed senor wire that need to be cut or put on a switch.......

has any figured this out yet..........

Timmbo

No luck yet, I have been following this here and at other sites, still no luck anywhere! Please let me know if you find anything out and I will do the same!

Alegre323

can this work on a 05 QX56? (nav)

Timmbo

Alegre323 wrote:can this work on a 05 QX56? (nav)
The '05 models are actually very simple if you have the Nav and DVD packages. The '08 and newer already have the feed from the DVD player being sent to the Nav screen, however, you can't watch on the Nav screen unless the E-Brake is on, and the vehicle is in a stationary position.

I previously owned an '04 QX56, and all I had to purchase was the switch unit from TV and Nav 2 Go and installed that, with a switch from Radio Shack (to flip the Nav screen from Nav to DVD) and then you can watch DVD's on the rear and front Nav screen, even while you are cruising down the interstate, of course that is for the passenger in the passenger seat, not the driver!

Alegre323

can you link me directly to this?
Timmbo wrote:
The '05 models are actually very simple if you have the Nav and DVD packages. The '08 and newer already have the feed from the DVD player being sent to the Nav screen, however, you can't watch on the Nav screen unless the E-Brake is on, and the vehicle is in a stationary position.

I previously owned an '04 QX56, and all I had to purchase was the switch unit from TV and Nav 2 Go and installed that, with a switch from Radio Shack (to flip the Nav screen from Nav to DVD) and then you can watch DVD's on the rear and front Nav screen, even while you are cruising down the interstate, of course that is for the passenger in the passenger seat, not the driver!

Timmbo

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/in-car-dvd.html

I actually had the unit where you cut your own wires, NOT the plug & play model. I like this one because it allows you to make the connection underneath your passenger seat where the Nav DVD rom drive is located. That is much easier than trying to rip your dash apart to get to the back of the Nav Screen. The one thing people had an issue with is when you watch a DVD, you would still see the HVAC display on the bottom portion of the screen while you were watching the movie, but by making the connection at the back of the Nav DVD rom drive, all you have to to is hit the "Route" button, and all you will then see on the screen is the movie you are watching......the cool thing is if you raise the temp or change the vent or something, it shows up for a few seconds, and then disappears again. I was very happy the the TV and Nav 2 Go unit.

Alegre323

Timmbo wrote:http://www.tvandnav2go.com/in-car-dvd.html

I actually had the unit where you cut your own wires, NOT the plug & play model. I like this one because it allows you to make the connection underneath your passenger seat where the Nav DVD rom drive is located. That is much easier than trying to rip your dash apart to get to the back of the Nav Screen. The one thing people had an issue with is when you watch a DVD, you would still see the HVAC display on the bottom portion of the screen while you were watching the movie, but by making the connection at the back of the Nav DVD rom drive, all you have to to is hit the "Route" button, and all you will then see on the screen is the movie you are watching......the cool thing is if you raise the temp or change the vent or something, it shows up for a few seconds, and then disappears again. I was very happy the the TV and Nav 2 Go unit.
looks good... def. going to order it :D

Timmbo

Let me know if you have any questions when you are installing it.

Any more info on this.........

I found one solution for the front display......

http://navtv.selectinterface.c...id=12

Timmbo

Here is what I found. These are the complete instructions on how to be able to view your DVD's on the front Nav screen while the vehicle is in motion. This will also work if you DO NOT have the DVD player and you are sending a feed through the Aux Inputs.

Half way down on the left side it says "from +12volt switch" That is the wire that will trigger your relays from the switch. I didn’t show the switch wiring, this will be different depending on what type of switch you have. If you have just a basic "un-lit" switch then one end will go to your switched 12volt source and the other end will go to the relays like I have shown. A good source for your switched 12volts is at the 12volt socket in the black pocket. this is a switched source and the relays are not passing any current so this power will be more than enough..

As far as relays, go into any audio shop and ask them for a basic 12 volt Bosch/tyco 30 amp relay. If they don’t have that then ask for a Potter & Brumfield 40 amp. This will be the same place that should have your standard 1amp diode. And usually will have a cool round rocker like I used.

GrillAg98

This is a pretty sweet mod. How does it differ from the QX56 wiring, etc? Did you just clip the speedsense and e-brake? I guess I'm not getting how the relay, pin 82 and 80 and switch all tie together. Forgive my ignorance.

Timmbo

GrillAg98 wrote:This is a pretty sweet mod. How does it differ from the QX56 wiring, etc? Did you just clip the speedsense and e-brake? I guess I'm not getting how the relay, pin 82 and 80 and switch all tie together. Forgive my ignorance.
I don't quite understand it all myself, but I know it works, and that is really all that matters. The QX56 and the Armada are the same for doing this mod.

The above illustration is correct if you have the Navigation, but the system that does not include navigation is a little different. The procedure for Non-Nav 08 Nissian armada is to remove move the radio as shown above. The differance is in the radio itself and the pins. For the Non-Nav its pins 106 & 107.

106 - Ground Parking brake signal107 - Ground Vehicle speed signal

You do not need the relay's unless you want the option to switch back and forth from factory to modified. Just cut the two wires (be sure to leave enough wire from both the rear of the radio and the harness. MAKE SURE NO TO CUT THE WIRE TO SHORT OR YOU WILL BE SCREWED. Take the wires from the rear of the radio and ground them and you have the option of displaying movies on the front screen.

If you dont want to display the movie in the front screen while driving just press the status button on the radio and it will display the default Nissan screen. To revert back to the movie press the DVD/AUX bottom under the FM/AM button and it will display the movie.

Hope this helps everyone.....And the best thing about it is you dont have to spend money an any after market parts.

apatahunga
Car: QX56 2005

Hello, I am new to the forum, I own Infiniti QX56 2005 with DVD, NAV and rear camera. It would be nice to be able to watch DVD in the front, but I would really love to disable park requirement for the NAV (GPS). Is there any way to do that?

BmoreQX56
Car: 2008 QX56

Could you elaborate more on your comment regarding the cutting of the wires? Where do you cut them? How much length do you need to leave? How do you suggest to ground them?

Timmbo

Welcome to NICOclub, thanks for visiting the Armada/QX56 Forum! Unfortunately there isn't much I can elaborate on, I have yet to personally perform this mod. Maybe in the coming months when I am not using my days off to go golfing! I would imagine any good clean metal framework should work great for the ground.

Blown284
Car: '08 Infiniti QX56, '99 Mustang Cobra

BmoreQX56 wrote:Could you elaborate more on your comment regarding the cutting of the wires? Where do you cut them? How much length do you need to leave? How do you suggest to ground them?
Since you're close to me, have you figured this out? I'd love for my wife to be able to watch DVd's up front so leave be quiet and leave me the hell alone while I'm driving

bkelly
Car: Infiniti QX56

I finally had a chance to follow your intructions on a 2008 QX56.Opening up pin #80 and#82 seemed to be correct however the e-brake is still overriding. If I ground the wire at the e-brake pedal I can get the dvd to stay on but the e-brake light and bell stay on while moving.I am close but need another idea.Any thoughts??

hockeyguy21
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56, 2005 Honda Element

anyone got this up and running? how has it turned out? im trying to figure out how to get this done on my dads infiniti qx56 and i am having trouble getting the first piece off since there is a clock there instead of that little "nook" or "hole"any words of advice from the people who have this done is greatly appreciated

hockeyguy21
Car: 2008 Infiniti QX56, 2005 Honda Element

I have completed this mod, and im sorry i didnt take any picturesafter unplugging the battery, my dads navigation does not move on the screen. i assume this is something that happened since i unplugged the battery, but i am not positive. we will be taking it in tomorrow to check

but i was just cruising down the road at 45 mph watching kung fu panda

this mod gets

Have you grounded the wire correctly behind the radio....

bkelly
Car: Infiniti QX56

Once I installed the 5 prong relays and grounded the brake wire at the back of the head unit everything works great. This is the best mod you can make to the 2008 QX56.

Timmbo

I am going to finally be performing this mod on my '08 Armada. The only questions I have are regarding the relay.

What exactly does the relay do?How do I know which wires to connect where on the relay?What relay is the best to use for this mod?Where do you suggest getting the relay from? (does Radio Shack have this?)

Thanks so much for your feedback, I really appreciate it, I will be able to better assist others with this mod on the forum as well.

Happy Holidays!

GrillAg98

Take pics and write details. I need to do this and knowing me, I'll probably eff it up.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”