07 G35 Key/Park/Steering Lock Issues- Electrical?

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
BuiltInfiniti

Hi all,
I recently acquired an 07 G35 Sedan. Picked it up at auction with a minor right-front hit without keys. When we got it, the dash bag, steering wheel bag, passenger curtain, and passenger seat bag were blown. They've since been replaced. The steering wheel lock and the park lock do not work.. you can shift at will and the steering wheel does not lock. We figured the steering wheel lock was broken due to tow truck driver or whatever, so we got a new column and installed it when the dash went back in. It still doesn't lock.

Car is ready for paint, but we are sick of pushing it in and out of the shop. We took it to Nissan with 2 reman key fobs hoping to get it started. We took it there without the air bag computer hooked up, as we are waiting for the seat to get stitched up. Nissan (Infiniti is really far away) said it'd be alright without the Air Bag computer hooked up.

Long story short, we took it to them, and they spent 3-4 hours scanning it, trying to get get the new keys set up. They cut me two correct physical keys.. But that is all they accomplished. The tech said it could be: Key fobs, BCM, Wiring, or the fact that they are a Nissan dealer and not an Infiniti dealer. He said that he could communicate a little, but not as much as if he could actually power the dash and such up.

I don't know that the tech noticed/cared that the steering wheel nor park lock functioned, but I'm wondering if it is related.

Where would you start? The dealer wasn't much help.. They did offer to let me leave it there for them to figure out.. but that sounds like a perfect opportunity to blow $2k in a hurry.

Thanks for the help in advance!

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Welcome to NICO!

Thats a hell of a first post man! If it were me, I'd start with the airbag computer. It is probably part of the start up processes that let the car turn on. If its absent, it probably won't do anything in the name of safety.

Are you a body shop? Or know anyone who has one? I bet they have trouble like this all of the time.

Take a peek at the Factory Service Manual, too. You can try to find a diagnostic tree for the issue you're having. There is a link for it in my signature, and they're free to NICO members.

Good luck man, and post up what you find as it happens so we can try to help you out further.

BuiltInfiniti

Thanks for the reply and info on the service manuals! We ended up swapping in an 08 G37 BCM and the dash finally lit up (after swapping the dash cluster, shifter, etc etc).
I have a CORRECT BCM on the way, hope to make some progress later in the week.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Cool, thanks for the update.

It drives me nuts that all of those pieces need to be coded to the VIN in order to work. Those days of swapping out an ECU are long gone!!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”