07 G35 Headlights not Working

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
azkid
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35

My 07 G35 is having a problem! My fog lights work. My turn signals work. My High and Low beams do not work! Is there a fuse that needs to be replaced? I just can't imagine them both being out at the same time. Please Help!

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO!

Sorry to hear about your lights...definitely sounds like a fuse. Have you checked the fuse panel? Any mods done to them?

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Each headlamp runs on its own fuse. The possible causes besides coincidental outage of both at the same time is the Switch is defective/malfunctioning, or a BCM fail. The car should be warranty so take it in to be checked.

azkid

What is the best way to diagnose the problem? And where would the headlight fuses be located?

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

fusebox under your hood. You need to check power signal at the harness at the headlamp for each one and the other lights and see if the switch has no internal shorts or breaks.

azkid

sounds like it might be best to take it to a shop. Don't want to pay to much just for a diagnoses.

azkid

Does it make sense that the turn signals and fog lights still work?

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

azkid wrote:sounds like it might be best to take it to a shop. Don't want to pay to much just for a diagnoses.
Why not warranty it?

azkid

Nearest dealer is 75 miles away! I will probably have to just do it. Car has over 60,000 miles and not sure if still covered. Will have to make a car before driving all that way.

pfarmer
Car: 2008 GXS with technology package

azkid wrote:Nearest dealer is 75 miles away! I will probably have to just do it. Car has over 60,000 miles and not sure if still covered. Will have to make a car before driving all that way.
Do you have a grounding kit installed?

Perry

azkid

No.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

I vote the switch on the turn signal assembly is faulty.

pfarmer

azkid wrote:My 07 G35 is having a problem! My fog lights work. My turn signals work. My High and Low beams do not work! Is there a fuse that needs to be replaced? I just can't imagine them both being out at the same time. Please Help!
Hook up an OBD to your 'G' and see what it may tell you.

Perry

azkid

I''ve already tried that and it came up with nothing.

pfarmer

azkid wrote:I''ve already tried that and it came up with nothing.
That is a good thing. Next step, tell me if you get a high beam indication on the dash and does it follow your on and off request for headlights in general? That is does it go off if you turn the lights off? Does it change if you select high beam?

Perry

azkid

The high beam light on the dash does come on. But as previously stated nothing happens with the headlights. I did look under the hood at the fusebox and noticed that there is one spot not filled. It is labled as FL40A H/L Washer. The only problem is that the slot only has one pronge. So I can't test it to see if this is my problem. What do you think?

pfarmer

azkid wrote:The high beam light on the dash does come on. But as previously stated nothing happens with the headlights. I did look under the hood at the fusebox and noticed that there is one spot not filled. It is labled as FL40A H/L Washer. The only problem is that the slot only has one pronge. So I can't test it to see if this is my problem. What do you think?
I think that option is available in some countries.

Did you pull out any of the headlight fuses and look at them? There are four fuses associated with the headlights, two (15 amp) each which are for the headlights themselves and two (10amp) each for the high beam solinoids. Your combination switch tells the BCM (body control module) what to do in the way of headlights. The BCM then sends a message to the unified meter and to the IPDM (intelligent power distribution module) via a set of data lines. This is why I asked about the high beam indication. If the high beam indication follows the position of the switch, turning on an off when you push/pull the high beams and going on/off when you turn the headlights on an off then the switch may not be the problem. This also is pointing to the fact that the BCM may well be ok.

When the signal is sent to the IPDM then it will turn on the headlight relay and also will control the high beam solinoid as needed through that relay.

So now if you pull the fuses and they look ok you should be able to put a meter on the high side of the fuse and since this is connected to the relays which are connected to the battery you should be able to pick up a 12 volt reading with the headlights on and the high beams on (as indicated on the unified meter) on all 4 fuses (just make sure you are on the high side of the fuses). If you can't tell which is the high side then first test for a 12 volt reading on both sides of the high beam solinoid fuse. If both sides don't give a reading then check for continuity to ground as one side of the high beam solinoid is grounded. The side that gives you continuity (assuming the solinoids are ok) is the low side of the fuse (you want the other side to check for 12 volts and the fuses are probably orientated the same). If these points follow the switch requests then both the BCM and IPDM sound like they are ok.

If this is the case then you need to move to the headlights if the fuses are ok. I am not sure in this case as far as the ground goes, but it appears that they have their separate grounds, some cars use a single ground for lights so make sure the headlights are grounded. Then you need to check the power at the headlights to the HID. Again not sure what the connectors look like on the assembly but the power to the HID is pin number 5, the power to the high beam solinoid is pin number 7, and the ground is pin number 3. These may not be pins but these are the numbers for whatever the connector actually is.

Have fun.

Perry

azkid

Where is the BCM located on the 07 g35? I was looking in the ragular fuse location under the hood and that is not where the headlamp fuses are located. If you can please advise me where to look. Thanks

pfarmer

azkid wrote:Where is the BCM located on the 07 g35? I was looking in the ragular fuse location under the hood and that is not where the headlamp fuses are located. If you can please advise me where to look. Thanks
Did you check where the IPDM is located?

Perry

Under the battery cover.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Sounds like a bad relay to me.

Check the fuse box in the battery compartment.

azkid

Where is the IPDM located? Is that in the Battery compartment as well? Is it the black box next to the battery? I will have to take a closer look at it when I get home. Also, would the relay be in the same area as the headlamp fuses? Thanks for all of your help!

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

yup, should be in the battery compartment.

azkid

I have removed one of the HID headlights. How can I tell if the bulb is burnt out? The bulb has a burn spot and I know there is no filament to check. I am not sure of what the true signs of a burnt out HID light are. Maybe you can advise me of what to look for.

kjcurry1310
Car: 2008 g37s

I know thus post was from like 6 years ago.. but did you ever find out what the problem was? I am have exactly the same issue with my 37.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Check out the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Sedan/2008/EXL.pdf

Telcoman

aochoa
Car: 04 Infiniti G35

I have the same issue shorta. Nothing on the turn signal control works. No turn signals, no headlights , no high beams, no taillights. I got another switch from the junkyard and replaced it and no help. I checked all the fuses and non are burned. I did check the voltage on the headlight fuse and I have no voltage going to the headlight fuse. I removed the relay and check the slots they go in and I have two spots receiving voltage. What would you suggest ? Please and thank you

aochoa
Car: 04 Infiniti G35

I have switched out the relay with another relay in the fuse box and it didn't not work neither. Same kind of relay and everything

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”