05 Q - turn the key - nothing!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
iamthewalrus
Car: '08 M45x

Weird thing happened last night....drive the Q to a ball game and park. 30 seconds later decide to move it, turn key and nothing happens.
Car is in "Park", dash lights up, windows can be closed/opened, so I don't think it's the car battery.
Come out after game, turn the key - and again nothing. Do it again - nothing. 3rd time I hear a slight sound (I think the starter).
One more time, starter turns, car fires up and I drive home without any problems.
It's done this before, but every time, a quick key turn-off, key turn-on and off I went.
Is this a starter? Silly question, but could the battery in my key be weak?

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Most auto parts stores will load-test your battery for free.

Typically, if the battery is on its way out (or there's a poor connection at the battery terminals), the dashboard lights will dim quite a bit while you're attempting to start the engine.

If the dashboard lights stay pretty bright instead, there may be some other reason why the starter either isn't getting enough current (e.g., poor connection through the transmission inhibit switch or ignition switch), or isn't drawing much current (bad starter).

lmheim
Car: 2002 Q45

This has been going on with my 02 (53k miles) for a few months. Battery has tested fine multiple times and I have even trickle charged it anyway. Long list of things I tried/tested/etc, but at this point I am sure is the starter needs to be replaced. Very odd at such low mileage. One odd thing that usually helps is to let the driver's seat finish moving when you first get in before you crank it. My theory is that the starter is just on the edge of survival and needs every amp it can pull, so minimizing the drain from everything else helps. It doesn't work every time, but I usually don't need more than 4 attempts before it fires up.

PS - It is a royal PITA to change. I started to and simply couldn't reach the mounting bolts so I gave up. Check the FSM and then get under the car and look for yourself before you attempt. Granted I ain't a pro, so maybe I gave up too easily.

Oh - and yes I tried both keys and replaced the battery in both as well - no difference.

iamthewalrus
Car: '08 M45x

Thanks for all the advice - will concentrate on the starter

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”