'05 Q - Radio Station Memory GONE!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
iamthewalrus
Car: '08 M45x

Had a new starter installed on my 2005Q today. Mechanic had to disconnect battery during the job.
When I picked the car up, the clock was wrong, odometer set back to 0.0 and radio stations had to be reset. No big deal.
Set the clock and radio stations. I went back out ~1 hour later and all of the radio stations had to be reset.....again.
Clock is correct, and odometer is working fine.
I tried a test and set 2 stations. Went home after work, turned car off and then turned key to accessory mode - 2 stations were still set.
30 minutes later, I went out and the radio station memory is all gone again. I know I'm setting the stations correctly, and double-checked the manual.
This really sucks - anybody have any idea why this would happen and how it can be fixed?

iamthewalrus

Update: Went out for an errand last night at 6:30. Set all stations. Was in car for about 15 minutes until 6:45. Came back out to go home at 7:20. All stations were still set. Went out this morning at 7:15, and all station memory is gone. So it's obviously not a fuse, but could it be a bad starter (Remanufactured REMY) that is somehow pulling some power from the battery when the car is off - enough to suck the radio station memory out?

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

And yet still leave enough battery juice to start the engine?

iamthewalrus

Yes. The engine starts fine.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

If you don't already have a copy of your FSM (Factory Service Manual) you can download it at www.infinitiservicemanual.com

There is a self diagnostic test that you can run mentioned in the AV section. It might tell you something?

Heath

iamthewalrus

Hi - thank you Heath, yes I have the FSM and did run the diagnostic. All systems showed up as "green", meaning nothing found. I selected the Audio system anyway and nothing came back.

iamthewalrus

Ok - this is starting to sound like a Twilight Zone episode. Around 9 am today, when I ran the diagnostics, I set just my FM1 stations (6 in total).
It's now 3:30 pm in PA, and I just checked. FM1 stations are still memorized - 6+ hours later.......will check tonight as well.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

iamthewalrus wrote:Yes. The engine starts fine.
The radio will retain its memory presets down to a much, MUCH lower battery voltage than is required to spin the starter...

...Which means that a drained battery isn't the problem.

From your description, it sounds like the connection between the battery and starter is good - but the connection between the battery and radio is poor (i.e., is intermittent).

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”