02 Q45 - front end thumping

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
lmheim
Car: 2002 Q45

Any thoughts are appreciated on this:

I have a deep thumping that seems to be associated with the driver side front suspension. When I first start driving, the thumps are very apparent when I drive over bumps, etc. It seems to go away after a minute or so. I had someone give a very quick look underneath to see if there was anything painfully obvious - like a missing bushing - but apparently there isn't. Since that was a very cursory look, I don't place a whole lot of weight on that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Dachristianman
Car: 2002 Q-45

You say it goes away and only happens when cold? If so, it could be the strut. If it happens consistently when cold, you may have to leave it with a shop that focuses on front ends and alignments so they can replicate it first thing in the morning. If it's not predictable, then I'd ignore it until it does become predictable....it'll get worse before it gets better.

Tom

IvoryQ45T

It could possibly your Tension Rods. Check the bushing out.

paranoidjack
Car: 2012 M56s
2003 M45
2001 QX4
2000 Q45
1998 Pathy
1996 J30

Remember they ARE directional bushings, and final torquing of the bolts is not to be done until car is on ground and under load!

I wasted a set of bushings not realizing this, tightenened with car in air, and they wore out in only a few months - probably were ruined the day I moment I put the car down. Stupid move, but we learn from mistakes.

Ensure direction and torque after on ground and life should be good!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”