02 Maxima odd problem

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
chimax

Hi, I got an 02 Maxima about two months ago. A few days off the lot is when the problem started. I drove the car around for about 4 hours before I actually took it, and everything was working fine.

It started when it died at a traffic light. Was just sitting there at idle, in D, and it died. This has continued, and has gotten worse, to the point of keeping the car in neutral and keeping rpm's around 1.2k to keep the car on.

It also started hesitating on acceleration. I'd hit the pedal from a traffic light, and whether I was granny accelerating, or punching it, it would feel like it wanted to turn off, then come right back on.

When it did this hesitation, you can hear relays clicking (maybe just one, not sure), the SES light would go off for a second, then come right back on.

I got the car from a used car dealer with a 90 day warranty. They use a regular shop for their repairs. I took it to Autozone first, got it scanned. SES codes were 0335, 0340, 0345, 0442, and 0605. The place replaced the ECU, said the problems should go away.

I took the car from them, not an hour later, car is doing the exact same thing. I scanned it again, the 4 codes were still there, but no 0605 anymore. So they replaced the CKP sensor and the CMP sensors, along with the gas cap. Once again told me the car should be fine.

Car is still doing the exact same thing, only now I get 0335 and 0605 (AGAIN) only. I used that MAF cleaner stuff on the MAF, after reading a bunch of junk on those going bad.

I took it to a Nissan dealership, and after their basic diagnostic, they couldn't find the problem. All he could tell me was 0335 and 0605 were being shown, and they'd need another 4 hours @ $120 an hour to "try" and find the problem. The place I got the car from didn't want to pay that just yet, so I'm taking it back to the neighborhood shop for one more try.

Any ideas as to what it could be? 0605 twice, within 30 days?

2K2WhiteMaxSE
Car: 2002 Nissan Maxima SE

P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor CircuitP0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor (Phase) Circuit (Bank 1)P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor (Phase) Circuit (Bank 2)P0442 - EVAP Control System Small Leak Detected (Negative Pressure)P0605 - Engine Control Module (ECM)

Dude, you need help...

The camshaft position sensor is why your car is stalling...check your oil level in the car, that has been known to trigger a crankshaft sensor code..., the evap code should stay away, just dont top off your tank when you fill up this car has a sensitive evap system...

what did autozone put in their as a replacement ECU??? id take whatever they put in their, take it back, get your old one put back in, drive it back to the used car lot where you got it from and if your still under the 90 day warranty tell them to fix the car right there or give you your money back...seriously you are getting screwed bigtime...that car should never have left the lot like that no f ing chance...

chimax

Autozone didn't put in an ECU, the mechanic that the used car dealer uses did.

CKP and the 2 CMP sensors were replaced.

The only codes I get now are 0605 again, and 0335. It got a new ECU under the 8 year federal warranty that covers them. But after a month of being replaced, ECU code came back.

2K2WhiteMaxSE

also, if your car is an AT, the hesitation shouldnt be the MAF, that is a common prob on the MT, but dont spray anything directly on the MAF...that will make everything worse and then you will have to buy a new one...how many miles on it?

2K2WhiteMaxSE

is it a nissan factory ecu??

chimax

70,523 miles, AT, and the ECU got replaced at the Nissan dealership, I asked for the invoices from the used car dealer mechanic who took it.

2K2WhiteMaxSE

hmm...has the motor been replaced??? or anything else seem off about the car...2 bad ECUs is certainly not unheard of, but is unusual in Maximas, unless there is some underlying problem that is unknown...

2K2WhiteMaxSE

how was the overall condition of the car...what did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking, just easier to tell by the price if there could be something else wrong with the car...used car dealarships do it all the time

chimax

Cosmetically, the car looks great. The only problem that I've really noticed was that a few of the instrument lights were out, mostly behind the climate control.

The car drove great before all this BS started. Even now, yes it turns off and all, but it idles very smooth and drives great... when it's on.

I'm not sure about the motor, I do regret not Carfaxing it before I got it.

I come from Honda cars, rebuilt them from the main bearings on up. So I thought when I looked the Maxima over, I'd be able to find anything obvious. I guess I was wrong, but the car looked/felt great to me. I'd like to keep it, I like it. But not with some phantom electrical crap going on.

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

You might try checking the timing when its running bad and checkthe timing while its running good.

The might help deterimine if its the crankshaft position sensor orthe MAF OR if its a timing chain or something more complicated

chimax

I definitely understand that, bit there is no real "running bad" part of it. It's either on and running fine, or it just shuts off. Doesn't get rought first, nothing. Just dies quietly, and comes right back on.

And to answer the question from earlier, I paid $9,500 for it. 2002, 70k miles, new tires and rotors, new coils and plugs.
Modified by chimax at 4:58 PM 10/30/2008

chimax

Driving in traffic today, the car shut off. I was only doing about 10 mph, accelerating slowly from a light. Usually the car turns right back on, but it took about a minute for it to come on.

Once it was back on, revs were limited around 2500. Turned off, then back on, and the car has been fine since then.

chimax

Any other ideas? the CKP and CMP sensors/harnesses/wires back to ECM tested fine.

Guessing it needs a new ECM, again

McSteve
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30

from what i've heard, the ECUs are really sensitive. My Nissan mechanic told me that when for example the IAVs go bad, it short circuits something on the ECU and fries it. From reading your problems it seems that something is causing the ECU to fail. Maybe the cause of that problem needs to be found before u keep replacing them.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”