01 pathfinder shift lock question

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
pathfinder2001
Car: pathfinder

Does anyone know how to find out weather the shift lock solenoid or brake pedal switch is broke? my wifes 01 pathfinder will barely go into reverse and i took the console apart and don't see the solenoid move when brake is pressed.

Thanks.

timmack
Car: 2002 Beige Pathfinder SE

the fact that it "barely" goes makes me think its neither of those. if the shift lock or the brake switch was bad, id think that the shifter would be locked out altogether. sounds like somethings gummed up, something is possibly full of dirt or grime. does it get any better when the car warms up?

pathfinder2001
Car: pathfinder

no. it doesn't get better when it warms up. it always takes several times pressing the brake and the button on the shifter and then it finally works.I have the console apart and can see where the solenoid only goes in 1 out of about 20 times.

timmack

when you step on the brake does it click every time? or just when the solenoid opens? not at all? reason why i ask is my 02 clicks every time i step on the brake but i can feel it in the pedal. im assuming thats the brake switch working and if you didnt have that click, that might be the first culprit.

ubpsanity
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

pathfinder2001 wrote:Does anyone know how to find out weather the shift lock solenoid or brake pedal switch is broke? my wifes 01 pathfinder will barely go into reverse and i took the console apart and don't see the solenoid move when brake is pressed.

Thanks.
Just to throw a suggestion in here, since you took the console apart, can you just remove the solenoid altogether and not worry about it in the first place?

I mean just because a few Audi drivers didn't know the difference between the brake and accelerator pedals, doesn't mean we'll all be faced with the "unintended acceleration" problems they had.

timmack

the solenoid is what pushes the lock tab on the shifter. take that out and theres nothing whatsoever to release the button that lets you shift out of park.

ubpsanity
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

that's too bad, it would have been an easy fix.

Still, with a bit of work, it should be possible to bypass it.

G8rDuc
Car: 96 Maxima/01 Pathfinder

Just replaced the solenoid myself. Not too hard and got the part from Courtesy Nissan for about $75.

Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

pathfinder2001: did you ever get this fixed?

I'm having the same problem right now with my 01 pathfinder. I am wonderingif there is another way to fix this without buying a new solenoid.

Holidazed
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Still waiting to hear back about a solution to this problem. I tried spraying the shift lock mechanism with WD40 and cleaning the dirt off and it helped for a couple days but I still get the problem once a day or so.

Has anyone else experienced this problem??

kornaz
Car: 95 240sx SE.

G8rDuc wrote:Just replaced the solenoid myself. Not too hard and got the part from Courtesy Nissan for about $75.
Got the same problem. I can work it with a small flat screw driver (to overrun the shift lock, but i have to work it). Before, when it was under warranty, took it to the dealership, they changed the fluids, "checked" it out, and said it was fine. Not even a day later - same problem. Now since the warranty is over, i will NOT take it to dealer. And i am not a dummy. So i guess it's either the fuse (i think it's rare, but i DID take my Path to the boat ramp...) OR:

"Hi everyone. I have my Pathfinder shiffting now. It was a blown fuse of the brake lights after towing a boat and getting the trailer lights wet. Thanks for all of the suggestions."

My thoughts are: when i did take the Path to the lake, the fuse DID blow. After replacing it 2 times, it's still not shifting. So i guess it's solenoid? Anyone else have any more input?
Modified by kornaz at 10:00 AM 1/31/2010

Chuck Tribolet
Car: '01 Nissan Pathfinder, '87 Corvette, '01 Camry daily driver, '98 Boston Whaler Montauk

Which fuse blew?

And a dunk in fresh water shouldn't cause a fuse to blow. Fresh water is justbarely conductive and won't increase the current flow. Salt water is a good bitmore conductive, but still not very. I've dunked my trailer in saltwater about 1500 times and have yet to blow a fuse. I'd be looking for a wiring fault on the trailer.

Note that the brake lights fire a relay which fires the solenoid.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”