01 maxima takes too long to shift from 2nd to 3rd anye ideas why?

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
D_roc
Car: 2001 Maxima 20th aniv edition

hi guys so i thout i was imagining stuff but turns out there is something wrong with the shifting in my car, it takes too long to shift dorm 2nd to 3rd. usually the car shifts at lik 2200rpm - 2300 but not it goes all the way to 3500 and some times 4000 to shift and it stays there for like 2seconds before shifting gears. but still shifts smooth tho no knock or hard shifting but can clearly her the engine racing a lot. so what could the problem be, just in case i added some lucas transmission fix lubricant and so far nothing, and i changed the tyranny fluid 2 yrs ago (1500miles), my dad thinks something must be wrong wiht the computer but idk what could it be and how to fix it

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I would only be concerned if the shift itself takes abnormally long (as in there's a delay between gears). 2200rpm is pretty low for a shift. The transmission is definitely not designed to always shift that early. Shift behavior is influenced by throttle position in several ways, so driving behavior will impact shift points.

Also, when ambient temperatures are particularly cold (say under 40 F) most transmissions hold gears longer and try to stay in lower gears longer to warm up trans fluid and help the engine get to operating temp quicker.

Lube additives aren't going to solve your problem if there's a real problem, though.

D_roc

so is like 2 seconds in between shifting too long?, i have no clue coz the car used to shift so smoothly i didnt even notice the shifting before

NutriaforBreakfast
Car: Nissan Maxima 1995 VQDE engine

Tran problems are tough. In the problem flowcharts in the FSM,they want the mechanic to start with checking the fluid level,checking for fluid overheating(burnt fluid), and checking the throttle positionsensor. You can drop the pan and change the fluid and gasket and cleanthe pan and magnets (see how much metal has been captured)

D_roc

i took a qucik clip using my phone thought there was audio but turns out there isnt this is just shifting from 1st to 2nd and the 2nd to 3rd is the same is the rpm too high its like 17degrees out but the car is warm like after a half hour drive i took it

http://s634.photobucket.com/al...8.flv

D_roc

btw this happen after one day the air intake got disconnected fom the throttle body and i drove the car a little less like that, i know that it could not cause any problems in the tranny, and the engine still runs good, so coud the computer might have got off programmed from that?

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”